No announcement yet.

223 vs. 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the right bullet the 300 blackout will kill better than a .223 ever thought about. My buddy shot a deer with his a few years ago with his 300 blackout. Hit low and blew the bucks front legs off at the knee and thumped it through the heart with the next shot. I've never seen a .223 pass through a big hog but have seen and heard Remington Hog Hammer zip through good sized hogs and ricochet off the dirt on the other side.

Heavier bullets hit harder. Light bullets blow up or don't have enough oomph to pass through. Not the best for shooting things you might have to follow a blood trail on. I wouldn't use either one to shoot a trophy buck. I'd rather try to blow it in half and have it laying right where it got shot.
    Last edited by okrattler; 04-20-2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

30 cal for me all day

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        On a running moving target where shot placement is somewhat iffy(almost impossible) especially at night using thermals or any kind of night vision scope then the bigger the bullet the better chances of killing the target.
        Exact opposite of what we found, the 300 had zero knockdown power and we scrapped them for thermals and almost exclusively use 223 with federal blue box soft points and they are very very deadly now. In fact, we tend to grab it over 6.5G just because it's cheaper to shoot and when multiple guns are going off, you're usually getting multiple bullets in each pig and it doesn't seem to matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
          Exact opposite of what we found, the 300 had zero knockdown power and we scrapped them for thermals and almost exclusively use 223 with federal blue box soft points and they are very very deadly now. In fact, we tend to grab it over 6.5G just because it's cheaper to shoot and when multiple guns are going off, you're usually getting multiple bullets in each pig and it doesn't seem to matter.
          Lol I am curious how this is the opposite?

Its simple logic.

No one wants to shoot multiple shots at one pig at night.

Especially me. With my .308 it was one shot and the pig is down, onto the next one. Its how you stack more pigs at night. THe more time you spend on one pig, the farther the group gets away from you.

Comment

223 vs. 300

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            On a running moving target where shot placement is somewhat iffy(almost impossible) especially at night using thermals or any kind of night vision scope then the bigger the bullet the better chances of killing the target.

Just because the bullet’s bigger, doesn’t mean it’s more powerful. Just for an example, a 147 grain 9mm bullet is both heavier and larger diameter than a 143 grain 6.5 Creedmoor, but the 6.5 is going to have nearly an extra 2000 ft. lbs of energy over the 9mm because it’s moving ~1600-1700fps faster.

With that said, even though a .300 Blackout bullet diameter is twice the weight of a .223/5.56, energy has very little difference between the two, and .223 takes the lead pretty quick as distance increases.

Note: Energy isn’t everything, but it is a major factor in killing power. Bullet selection is extremely important as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Raider4044; 04-21-2021, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
              this makes total sense , if you're one of those guys in those running pig videos, most off all those shots are bad shots , so you have to rely on temporary shock cavity to stunt a pig and shoot them again .... but by the time you shoot a pig 2,3,4,5 times , it's then unfair to call the caliber superior . Todd huey said it best in his 300blk. video .. he's a 6.8 guy , the tried 300 blk .. he was disappointed at first when they were not going down... but then realized he was not leading them enough , because he was used to the lead on 6.8 ...

Comment

I like the 300blk due to the options it gives you.
                110gr Barnes are deer killers easy.

Have killed pigs with 175gr match bullets and makers expanding subsonic bullets when used within reason. More options and 30cal love it.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  Lol I am curious how this is the opposite?

Its simple logic.

No one wants to shoot multiple shots at one pig at night.

Especially me. With my .308 it was one shot and the pig is down, onto the next one. Its how you stack more pigs at night. THe more time you spend on one pig, the farther the group gets away from you.
                  I'd agree with you if I was on a small property. When a group of 20-30 comes in with 3 guns, we're after first round quality then it's just get bullets in them. I think you're missing the point of what a thermal is for us. When a pig takes 4 or 5 300blk rounds and still runs off we had a problem, it was just poking holes in them and not expanding. At least we can rely on the 223 soft points to expand and cause trauma.

Ps. we still own 300blks because they are cool gun within limits but for nighthunting we're exclusively 223 and 6.5G
                  Last edited by Easttxbowman; 04-21-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Comment

223 all day.

Comment

Either will do the job, my grandson has shot several deer, axis and hogs with both calibers. None have went further than 10 yards. Now as said above, if you want to go 200 yards then the .223 would be my pick.

Comment

While I’m totally confident in .223 in killing pigs & whitetail, my choice would be 300 Blackout in an SBR or pistol. I just don’t like carrying full length guns anymore if I can help it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            While I’m totally confident in .223 in killing pigs & whitetail, my choice would be 300 Blackout in an SBR or pistol. I just don’t like carrying full length guns anymore if I can help it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            My thoughts. I don’t care for the 300, but it’s more efficient in a short barrel. 223 if I can run 16+ inches.

Comment

.223 with 60gr Nosler partitions. That’s a great little bullet and I’ve seen many deer and pigs killed clean with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X