No announcement yet.

Backup generator cost ?'s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generac is a name you hear a lot, but the cummings is a far superior machine with the warranty and install. also be sure yo get the 1000 gal propane tank because when you are in a state that you have to use it it is better to have enough propane to run it than sitting at home waiting on the delivery truck to fill up your 250 gal tank.

Comment

Not plugging our office, but we sell backup generators. Supply was already affected due to Covid shutdowns/fear during the riots this summer. We were at 4-6 months wait on both Generac and Kohler. It’s going to be astronomical when the demand after this storm hits. If you consider getting one after this is over, be prepared for 9-12 month wait on delivery and installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

tag

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
          Are you running an interlock switch for your generator? I’m trying to figure out the most economical, but effective route to take.

I pulled the main and wired through the laundry breaker. That way I can’t back feed but I’m running the whole panel. Just have to be careful what I turn on at one time with this baby generator.

Comment

When you have the portable units hooked up and running do you have a cover or something for it to be under while in use?

Comment

I'm in the process of starting a home build and I was quoted 1500 to prewire for a generator..no equipment included...Austin Area

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                I'm in the process of starting a home build and I was quoted 1500 to prewire for a generator..no equipment included...Austin Area

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk
                Do what BDunn did.

Originally posted by Bdunn View Post
                I pulled the main and wired through the laundry breaker. That way I can’t back feed but I’m running the whole panel. Just have to be careful what I turn on at one time with this baby generator.

Comment

ArrowSmith and others please chime in- I have questions on the 10-12,000 set up
                  I live on coast- propane seems very costly to run whole house if 200 gallons at $2.50 gallon only lasts 3 days...
                  I want gas or diesel option
                  I have CAT 8500 now but want bigger so I can run a/c and heat when power loss. 5 ton unit. 50 amp condensing unit, 50 amp air handler, 30 amp air handler.. then of course other essentials like fridge and some lights and outlets. Hot water heater and stove are gas so no real draw.

Comment

Does anyone know someone that install s the “whole house generac system in North Richland Hills area?
                    Last edited by 125Dad; 02-17-2021, 07:42 PM. Reason: Left out a word

Comment

Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
                      ArrowSmith and others please chime in- I have questions on the 10-12,000 set up
                      I live on coast- propane seems very costly to run whole house if 200 gallons at $2.50 gallon only lasts 3 days...
                      I want gas or diesel option
                      I have CAT 8500 now but want bigger so I can run a/c and heat when power loss. 5 ton unit. 50 amp condensing unit, 50 amp air handler, 30 amp air handler.. then of course other essentials like fridge and some lights and outlets. Hot water heater and stove are gas so no real draw.
                      I am no expert. There are electricians on here that are much more knowledgeable than me, but I would think for a 5 ton unit + the other items you mentioned you will need 15,000 to 20,000 watts....maybe larger. My AC unit is only 2.5 tons. We are in Iowa.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-17-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by raw10628 View Post
                        When you have the portable units hooked up and running do you have a cover or something for it to be under while in use?
                        Mine portable generator is out in the open just like when I use it at the deer lease. I don’t want it too close to the house to to fire and CO so it’s about 20’ away.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                          Mine should be getting installed in 2 weeks for $8675 24KW Generac.

Who are you using for your install?

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            I am no expert. There are electricians on here that are much more knowledgeable than me, but I would think for a 5 ton unit + the other items you mentioned you will need 15,000 to 20,000 watts....maybe larger. My AC unit is only 2.5 tons. We are in Iowa.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            Gotcha- THanks.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                              Who are you using for your install?

I can’t remember the name of the company but I have his name in my phone as Darryl’s Electric because he has two companies.

Came recommended from my neighbor who is a contractor and builds hotels all over the us.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                I had a 32KW Generac installed during my home build in 2019. It cost about 18K all in. It has been an absolute luxury during our 41 hrs without power.
                                I'm going to get one installed soon as possible. Keeping this big 11.5KW gassed up is not fun. I'm done with my out of state project and home now. We need to get together to have a beer and shoot the breeze soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X