No announcement yet.

Backup generator cost ?'s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m going with a Cummins 25kw, I’m all electric so going to need a propane tank. Also going to build a nice enclosure over it as well as 300gallon tank water well to match the house.

Comment

I’m in the middle of building right now and while I don’t think a generator will be in the budget I do think I’ll be going ahead and wiring the house for one in the future.

Comment

I think it would be good time to be a generator salesman in Texas about now. Probably could retire early.[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          Been researching
          Generac model #7043 consumes liquid propane at a 1/2 load at 92 ft^3/hr (2.53 gal/hr) and (9.57 L/hr). For a full load, this model uses 142 ft^3/hr (3.90 gal/hr) and (14.77 L/hr). For Generac 16kW, this unit consumes liquid propane at a 1/2 load at 62 ft^3/hr (1.70 gal/hr) and (6.45 L/hr). For a full load, this model uses 109 ft^3/hr (2.99 gal/hr) and (11.32 L/hr).

So at 1/2 power how long would a large say 250 gallon tank runs a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
            So at 1/2 power how long would a large say 250 gallon tank runs a house.

They can only fill above ground tanks to 80% capacity so assuming your tank was fully topped off you’d have 200 gallons. If the generator was the only thing using propane you’d be able to run for about 75 -80 hours or 3 days max if running continuously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We keep 100 gallons of propane and 50 gallons of gas on hand at all times. I will use the gas in my truck periodically and replenish to keep it fresh. We have a Champion 10000/8000 duel fuel generator, interlock switch system. We have never had to use it, but we are ready if we need it. I run the generator once a month or so with a load on it and keep a battery tender on it.

Haters will hate.....

and

Preppers will Prep. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                I’m in the middle of building right now and while I don’t think a generator will be in the budget I do think I’ll be going ahead and wiring the house for one in the future.

At the very minimum, put in a transfer switch now with empty conduits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                  You can put together a functional system for less than 2K.

10,000 - 12,000 watt Duel Fuel or straight gas generator $1000 to $1200

Exterior generator plug $75.00

Panel interlock switch $100.00

Surge Protector (highly recommend) $75.00

Electrician to tie plug into panel and install surge protector and interlock switch $300 to $500. You can do this yourself but I would let an electrician do it.

You can run everything you need to run off this set up and not spend 10 grand. Plus it is fairly simple install that does not take a lot of retrofitting.

Look Here:

Watch this short video. This will help explain.

This is the system we have. Our Generator is a Champion Duel Fuel 10,000/8000 watt (10,000 start up/8000running watts). The interlock switch device is specific to your panel. For example Square D, GE, Eaton, etc. and per model number of your specific panel. You turn all your breakers off and then power up either what you need or what your generator will run.

Interlock switch kits:

Also I highly recommend that you install a surge protector that is designed for generator back up use. It will protect your electronics and motherboard in your furnace, AC, etc. I have heard of people emergency wiring their furnace for generator hook up and it burns out the controls. Most all appliances now have electronics (motherboards that dirty power will fry).

https://zerosurge.com/generator-ups/

I’m seriously considering this of a generac generator. My neighborhood loses power often and this is the last time I’m gojng thru this crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know in Lake Charles people were having hell with the generacs. Extended period of use didn’t seem reliable at all. Warranty is good but sucks when you need to use it. When we went over there to work after Laura it definitely changed my perspective on the Generacs.

Comment

Backup generator cost ?'s.

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                      I know in Lake Charles people were having hell with the generacs. Extended period of use didn’t seem reliable at all. Warranty is good but sucks when you need to use it. When we went over there to work after Laura it definitely changed my perspective on the Generacs.

What was failing? They are just a simple air cooled engine. I suppose if you kept it fully loaded for hours on end it could cause problems with the actual alternator itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Don't think about it as a WHOLE house run everything generator, but as small as you can get by with. The smaller the generator the less the consumption, the longer it will run on a tank of fuel. Get a propane stove(s) or fireplace, and just use your HVAC to move the air, not heat it. Change every bulb to LED. Right now we can't get tanks refilled as all the gas companies are out of propane. Think how you can do it the MOST efficient way possible.

Comment

I wonder what kind of whole home standby would work for long term use? Say 36 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            What was failing? They are just a simple air cooled engine. I suppose if you kept it fully loaded for hours on end it could cause problems with the actual alternator itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                            Lots of issues with crank bearings in the engines. I really didnt pay to much attention to the issues because they didn't really pertain to me at the time. just remember a bunch of people complaining on FB forums about them.
                            A guy I know over there that is pretty savvy with motorsports and such recommends the Cummins/Onan generator systems.

To Generacs defense, the folks in Lake Charles were running them 14+ days. I believe they call for oil changes every 100hrs of run time.

Comment

Lots of issues with crank bearings in the engines. I really didnt pay to much attention to the issues because they didn't really pertain to me at the time. just remember a bunch of people complaining on FB forums about them.
                              A guy I know over there that is pretty savvy with motorsports and such recommends the Cummins/Onan generator systems.

To Generacs defense, the folks in Lake Charles were running them 14+ days. I believe they call for oil changes every 100hrs of run time.
                              I changed the oil In mine every 48 hrs . Probably excessive but I haven't had problems with mine in 3 years .. longest run was 7 days .

Comment

I’ve been putting off picking up a generator for a couple years. New spring project will be picking on up and getting everything wired.

Comment

Working...
                                X