Birds for the yard at the ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birds for the yard at the ranch

I’m not out at the ranch but on weekends. Is there any bird I can get that will hang around the yard, kill snakes, can roost in a tree, won’t get eaten by hawks or coyotes, and can feed itself. Can’t think of one but thought I’d ask.

Get some guineas

Comment

Only one. Guineas.

Comment

Ostriches. They don’t need a tree. Just some sand to poke their head in and no one will see them.

Seriously the first post has the answer

Comment

I had twenty guineas and they were great for snakes and ticks. However it only took a year for the predators to get them.

Comment

That’s what I was afraid of. My buddy raised them and told me they wouldn’t last.

Comment

Guineas will not survive, for a long time, that is. Been there done that. The "best" but it brings it's own problems is a couple of feral cats. Problem obviously is they can really hurt your quail population but the field mice, pack rats and snake population will suffer big time.

Comment

We had a flock of about 20 or 30 guineas at one time. They dwindled down over the course of a couple of years until none were left. Now we have a couple of feral cats that help control the rodents and the snakes near the house and the barns.

Comment

I have chickens, Guinea fowl and peacocks . Peacocks put a hurting on my snake and scorpion population . Just when you get anything you need to keep them in a coop for a few weeks .

Comment

Where’s the best place to get a couple feral cats?

Comment

Any shelter.

Comment

Get the cat fixed before you turn it out!!

Comment

Land based sea bass with frikkin laser beams!

Comment

Can I keep them around the barn and out of my yard?
                            I have a 40” field fence around the yard. Don’t want them up on my wrap around porch

Comment

Working...
                            X