Backcountry Cell Service / Satellite Communicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backcountry Cell Service / Satellite Communicators

Myself and 3 buddies were drawn for an archery mule deer hunt in Utah. It’s been a fun process reviewing gear and getting all setup just a few main items left.

We had a buddy up last week scouting the unit. He had zero cell reception the entire time. What are your guys preferences aside from buying an expensive SAT phone?

Garmin mini
    Zoleo
    X-spot
    ETC…

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if any guys wanted to sell or potentially rent a device for 8 days we are all ears!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Garmin mini will pair with your cell phone with the Garmin app. You can download all the apps and text via the Garmin. I turn mine on for a month as needed

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
      Garmin mini will pair with your cell phone with the Garmin app. You can download all the apps and text via the Garmin. I turn mine on for a month as needed

Would your recommend the mini?
      Any issues with it? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Redlegwar View Post

I second the mini. Pretty easy to use with phone and figure out. Bring a spare battery bank and only use as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redlegwar View Post

None so far, I make sure my phone is in airplane mode and the Garmin settings are set so they do not drain the battery fast, I have also powered down when I am in camp after checking in with family to save battery life. If that fails I keep an Anker power pack. It doesn't weigh much and I clip it on my pack during the day. It is not like texting with an iPhone and LTE service but it does basic communication and can help out in an emergency

Comment

I’ve got an inreach that I’ve been using for about 4 or 5 years now. Works just like the mini but has more gps capabilities with the bigger screen. No complaints from me.

I really want to try out the zoleo, cheaper all around, and heard nothing but good things about it, but I don’t know if I’ll try it out this year or wait til next season.

Comment

I had the Delorme inreach SE before Garmin bought them. I have since upgraded to the mini. I mostly use the preset messages, usually sending an "I am ok" every night before bedding down. Recipients of messages can track your location on a map. You can receive a message from outside just in case someone needs to reach you for an emergency. I have not looked at the changes since Garmin bought the SAR company. I used to be protected by a separate policy by belonging to a trek and climb group. I will re-evaluate what I need to carry this year. If you do not need 2-way comms then a PLB might be a more economical choice.

Comment

I use a standard inreach and like it. I’ll take the additional weight for the added GPS features in case of a phone failure. Redundancy.

Comment

Are you wanting it to communicate with others or for life saving emergencies? I carried an EPIRB with me. As far as communication I just called when I went into town to get water and supplies. I usually drive into town about every 6-7 days for ice etc so i stayed in contact

Comment

Spot

I was happy with the SPOT. If you're going to go every year, it would be good to buy one. If not, I have one I can rent out:

Take lots of pictures!

Comment

Inreach mini. Love it, no down sides. But now I am going to check out the Zoleo.

Comment

We had cell service in Utah if we drove to highest point, this was in the Manti and years ago

Comment

I go to get away from it and y'all are taking it with ya.

Comment

Another vote for mini.

Easy to use, I keep mine off till I camped for the night then the wife a present text that also has the gps location. Peace of mine that everything is okay at home we keep you hunting longer and more focused.

Comment

I vote the Inreach mini

Comment

Working...
                              X