Costa Rica fishing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costa Rica fishing advice

Know lots have been and planning on going late January it looks like. Seems Oso would be the area to go. Anyone have any recommendation? Like to spend at least 3 days on the water. If there is a one stop shop that would be great (accommodations & fishing etc).

Thanks
    Glen

We fished out of Quepos with Good Day. Benn is a great guide and put us on fish both inshore and offshore.

Comment

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
      We fished out of Quepos with Good Day. Benn is a great guide and put us on fish both inshore and offshore.
      We fished with Good Day as well. It was an awesome trip. We put 5 sails and n the boat.

Comment

I have quite a bit of experience fishing Costa Rica.

The best place to go is Los Suenos for a one stop shop.

Speak with Christian at www.mavericksportfish.com
        for your fishing.

I'll be back there in April 2022 competing in the Offshore World Championship for the 3rd time.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Know lots have been and planning on going late January it looks like. Seems Oso would be the area to go. Anyone have any recommendation? Like to spend at least 3 days on the water. If there is a one stop shop that would be great (accommodations & fishing etc).

Thanks
          Glen
          What do you want to fish for? Offshore? Inshore?

Comment

I've been to Quepos several times and we have had incredible trips. Lots to do for the whole family. The fishing in January is great. You don't need to do a one stop deal really, Air BnB or VRBO a house. There are great places to eat of all types and price levels all over the place. Taxis are cheap to get around. It's not hard to set up at all.

In Quepos we usually rent a house in this place. Look at the Manuel Antonio options. https://manuelantonioestates.com/ Not that I ever have felt unsafe but it is gated and they do have security. Nice places.

We fished with John at Quepos Fishing Adventure. Very utilitarian boats but we have caught tons of sails, tuna and mahi and one blue marlin with them. The price was very reasonable. I think they can set you up with lodging and fishing if you want.
            Last edited by Capt Glenn; 07-09-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
              I have quite a bit of experience fishing Costa Rica.

The best place to go is Los Suenos for a one stop shop.

Speak with Christian at www.mavericksportfish.com
              for your fishing.

I'll be back there in April 2022 competing in the Offshore World Championship for the 3rd time.
              Have you fished out of Quepos? Can you compare Los Suenos and Quepos for us? I think we are going back this winter and I was curious about the differences.

Comment

I'm going with my family in Mid January and staying in Los Suenos. Planning on a day or two with Maverick and another day inshore (we'll get that when we are there).

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                  Have you fished out of Quepos? Can you compare Los Suenos and Quepos for us? I think we are going back this winter and I was curious about the differences.
                  Los Suenos is a gringo style resort and Quepos is a Tico town. That sounds simplistic, but it is the bottom line.

Comment

Got a trip setup in November at Los Suenos, heard it’s really nice and fishing was great

Comment

I'll second Quepos Fishing Adventures. They put me on the Mahi in my profile pic offshore and big rooster fish inshore. There is a lot of other cool stuff to do in Quepos as well.

Comment

Call Andy at Quepos Fish Adventure, he bought the business from John a couple of years ago and is a fellow Texan. I have fished with them when John had the business and after Andy bought it, hammered the fish every time. My preference towards the captains is Jr., but all have done an excellent job. Last I heard he added a couple of boats to the fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          Los Suenos is a gringo style resort and Quepos is a Tico town. That sounds simplistic, but it is the bottom line.
                          To put it more simplistic ....Los Suenos is like South Padre and Quepos is more like Matagorda

I felt like Los Suenos was too touristy for me. Love Quepos/Manuel Antonio much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                            To put it more simplistic ....Los Suenos is like South Padre and Quepos is more like Matagorda

I felt like Los Suenos was too touristy for me. Love Quepos/Manuel Antonio much better.
                            That is kinda what I thought but I wasn't sure. I have not been to Los Suenos. We have enjoyed Quepos every time. Probably will be back after hunting season.

Comment

I’ve fished both extensively. The OWC is held in Quepos. But, we practice out of Los Suenos. Boats are fishing the same water. Similarly to what others have said, Los Suenos is like Port Aransas and Quepos is like Seadrift.

Neither are bad. Los Suenos is just a one stop shop which is what the OP asked for.

Comment

Working...
                              X