Why no PP for TPW draw hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no PP for TPW draw hunts

Why doesn't TPW offer a preference point only option for draw hunts. Im putting in for alligator and javelina this year knowing if I get drawn i won't be able to go. I'm also putting in for GDE and Mule Deer, if I get drawn for those i will make it work but it will be difficult and I'd much prefer not to get drawn for either of those this year.

Further like I many are probably putting in for the most difficult hunts to draw to minimize the odds of being drawn which just screws the people who can make the hunt that year by lowering their odds of being drawn. Id guesstimate that 15-25% of people putting in for hunts are in the same situation as I. A preference point only option would probably be greatly accepted by the public. It would allow the people who can't make hunts that year still increase their chances of drawing in future years by gaining a point and increasing the odds of people who can actually make the hunt and want to be drawn for the year by getting some of the people out of the pool who are in it just for the point.

So how many of yall put in for hunts just for the point? What is your estimate of hunters doing g the same?

Anyone know who at TPWD I could email to lobby for PP only option?

I feel that a PP system indicates that that is the only way you can hunt such animals by being allotted a tag, which just isn’t the case in this state. Since they’re all opportunities at a ranch/WMA and not the actual ability to hunt that species having that PP advantage over someone else just isn’t fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

But the preference point system is already in place. You earn a point every year you don't successfully draw.

Like mentioned in my original post, have the option to buy a preference point only and not be put in for thatbyears draw benefits everyone. The state still makes money, hunters who purchase the PP only increase their odds for drawing in future years when there schedule can accommodate the hunt, the hunters who put in for hunts have better odds of drawing bc they aren't competing with hunters just looking for the PP.
      Last edited by CTR0022; 07-02-2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
        But the preference point system is already in place. You earn a point every year you don't successfully draw.

I get what you’re saying now sorry read that totally wrong. Possibly to keep situations like you mentioned happening? Possibly thought in were allowed X number to be killed but if some don’t show then no harm on their end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Preference points should be done away with. People just starting out will probably never draw.

Comment

The number of entries per year is exponentially outpacing the number of available permits per year. 8K for pronghorn last year for a dozen permits. You just have to face the fact that you may never draw some hunts regardless of how many points you have, so don't throw your picks away, if you know you won't be able to cash in if you get drawn, just skip it and apply for the ones you can make that year. People still get drawn with no points and I hear stories of some that have never drawn a single hunt in 20 years.

Going to unlimited entries per category and online entries has generated a mass revenue stream that I don't see them abandoning any time soon. The alligator hunt category alone generated over $15K in revenue in just application fees last year. At this point unless something drastically changes you're playing the lottery, no sense throwing $3 at a point that may not ever pay out, play the ones you know you can cash. Remember it's not like out west, while the points may increase your odds, they do not completely omit you from being able to draw a premier hunt.

Comment

Gotta be about $$$

Comment

if you want a pp just put in for the top sought after hunt in each category you want a pp in. Odds are you will not get drawn and get your pp

And in the event you do get drawn it will be worth changing plans for

I think I have 14 pp for pronghorn, I doubt I live long enough to ever draw one

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  if you want a pp just put in for the top sought after hunt in each category you want a pp in. Odds are you will not get drawn and get your pp

And in the event you do get drawn it will be worth changing plans for

I think I have 14 pp for pronghorn, I doubt I live long enough to ever draw one
                  Exactly what I am doing. The odds are low I will get drawn and If I do i will make sure I am able to make the hunt. For example for GDE I put in for the chapp. If I get drawn I'm going. But wouldn't it be better if I could just apply for a PP only for GDE. The state gets their money, I get my PP and the hunters who applied for the chapp that can really make the hunt get better odds of drawing bc im not in their draw pool.

But I wonder how many people are doing the same thing.
                  Last edited by CTR0022; 07-02-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    Gotta be about $$$
                    The PP only will still cost $, the state is still in the same position.

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                      The number of entries per year is exponentially outpacing the number of available permits per year. 8K for pronghorn last year for a dozen permits. You just have to face the fact that you may never draw some hunts regardless of how many points you have, so don't throw your picks away, if you know you won't be able to cash in if you get drawn, just skip it and apply for the ones you can make that year. People still get drawn with no points and I hear stories of some that have never drawn a single hunt in 20 years.

Going to unlimited entries per category and online entries has generated a mass revenue stream that I don't see them abandoning any time soon. The alligator hunt category alone generated over $15K in revenue in just application fees last year. At this point unless something drastically changes you're playing the lottery, no sense throwing $3 at a point that may not ever pay out, play the ones you know you can cash. Remember it's not like out west, while the points may increase your odds, they do not completely omit you from being able to draw a premier hunt.

Exactly, thats why PP matter. I have 8-10 PP in most categories and know my odds of drawing are still low. But for the most part i am only interested in the most sought after hunts.. Why do I want to shoot myself in the foot by not applying and not getting a PP for the year.

Comment

Im putting in for alligator and javelina this year knowing if I get drawn i won't be able to go.
                        It's a loyalty (not preference) point system that is designed to award people that want to hunt now, not people that want to bank points and hunt later. If TPW was to go to a PP system, I'd say that would be more of a direction based on increasing $. True PP systems also generally award all or a proportion of tags to max point holders. In Texas, it's still random, but more points = more chances of getting picked.

Comment

Texas is the land of corn feeders and box blinds on private land, let's not overcomplicate things. The raffle system in place does fine. These aren't big time Western hunts in high demand units with lots of public land.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            Texas is the land of corn feeders and box blinds on private land, let's not overcomplicate things. The raffle system in place does fine. These aren't big time Western hunts in high demand units with lots of public land.
                            Ed Zachary.

And I have 16 exotic points

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              Preference points should be done away with. People just starting out will probably never draw.
                              Hang out on the public hunting board on this website for a few years and see how many newbies with 0 or a couple preference points get drawn each year.

Your opinion may change.

Comment

Working...
                              X