Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Johnson Cty
Default Computer/WiFi Gurus

I cut the cord from cable/sat tv. The problem I have is a slow internet on wifi. Had AT$T come out update me to faster high speed internet. The problem is I only get the high speed internet on my computer that is hard wireds with a cable. The wifi part is not so high speed. Is there something I can buy that I can hard wire with the cable that is now plugged into my computer that will send out a high speed wifi signal. TIA
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
TKRanch
Ten Point

No expert at all, but does it have something to do with your router? maybe a better one is needed>?
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #3
Jtrage
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Yes, what router do you have? Did ATT supply it? Are there particular areas that aren't getting great speeds or do you not get great speeds in general?
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #4
Neck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

If you are not able to improve your WiFi signal/bandwidth and you do not want to run new CAT5 or CAT6 you can use your existing electrical cabling already in the walls to run ethernet over them. It's called powerline.

You can read up on it here...

https://www.howtogeek.com/210895/how...ne-networking/
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Johnson Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrage View Post
Yes, what router do you have? Did ATT supply it? Are there particular areas that aren't getting great speeds or do you not get great speeds in general?
It is an AT$T Router and I have had it a long time When the guy came out I thought he would replace it with a newer one, he didn't. I ask him about it and he said that a newer one wouldn't make a difference. When I check my connections via the TV it checks the wifi and says good signal. I have two tvs using the wifi signal both do the same thing get real fuzzy, sometimes I get a warning wifi speeds too slow yet ic check the connection and it still says good signal.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Your wifi broadcast on certain channels, and you're probably getting interference. There is an app that can see all the wifi signals near you and tell you what channel they are using.

You can then pick another channel and it should make the wifi faster.

When I get off of work I'll see what the app is called. I have it loaded on my tablet.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #7
r_u_sharp_2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

New modem and wifi router.

I just did this because our provider said everything was fine but we were getting crap for wifi speeds.

Well our wifi went from 30-60mbs on a 400mbs plan to 200+mbs. Which is somwhat expected since wifi will not be as fast as hard wired from what I understand.

Motorola 24x8 Cable Modem, Model MB7621, DOCSIS 3.0

Eero 6 mesh wifi

Since I have 2 computers hard wired I had to add a switch

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS305)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
r_u_sharp_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
New modem and wifi router.

I just did this because our provider said everything was fine but we were getting crap for wifi speeds.

Well our wifi went from 30-60mbs on a 400mbs plan to 200+mbs. Which is somwhat expected since wifi will not be as fast as hard wired from what I understand.

Motorola 24x8 Cable Modem, Model MB7621, DOCSIS 3.0

Eero 6 mesh wifi

Since I have 2 computers hard wired I had to add a switch

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS305)

I'm jealous of your "crappy" 30-60 mbs speeds. I do good to get 2 mbs at my house with my Verizon mifi device, which is pretty much the only thing available without spending big $$ in my area.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #9
300rem7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
If you are not able to improve your WiFi signal/bandwidth and you do not want to run new CAT5 or CAT6 you can use your existing electrical cabling already in the walls to run ethernet over them. It's called powerline.

You can read up on it here...

https://www.howtogeek.com/210895/how...ne-networking/
I suggest you look into a Mesh network.
300rem7 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
Jtrage
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4ut View Post
It is an AT$T Router and I have had it a long time When the guy came out I thought he would replace it with a newer one, he didn't. I ask him about it and he said that a newer one wouldn't make a difference. When I check my connections via the TV it checks the wifi and says good signal. I have two tvs using the wifi signal both do the same thing get real fuzzy, sometimes I get a warning wifi speeds too slow yet ic check the connection and it still says good signal.
Where are your TVs located in relation to your router? Are there walls, obstructions, etc.

I would definitely buy your own router anyways. Is ATT charging a "rental Fee" for the router and modem? I have Spectrum and they don't let you use another modem any longer but they don't charge any longer either.

As r_u_sharp_2 suggested, that is a good modem. Check the ATT site, it should tell you what modem is compatible or at least that is what spectrum used to do. Although, I would try the router first and see if that helps you. I went with eero and it dramatically increased my speeds and range. But depending on house size you might get away with a cheaper router.

Can you download a speedtest app for your tv? That might help determine where the issue is too. Or download one for your phone and check different spots around your house.
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #11
ladrones
Pope & Young

Ours was pushing 100mbs on a 400mbs plan. My wife called and complained. They brought a new router out and now we run between 450-500mbs.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Eero 6 mesh wifi - This is what you're looking for. You'll do well to have some wires, but the Eero's are like Wi-Fi extenders that really work. 5 GHz doesn't penetrate walls well at all. If you are utilizing 5 GHz you can also drop to 2.4 GHz and you might get a little better connection.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #13
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Get a new router. The combo modem/routers are notorious for this problem. Plug it into the modem with an ethernet cable. Be the best less than a hundred bucks you've ever spent.

LWD
LWD is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #14
jwstrother
Eight Point

Hunt In: TBD

PM Sent
jwstrother is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #15
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
Your wifi broadcast on certain channels, and you're probably getting interference. There is an app that can see all the wifi signals near you and tell you what channel they are using.

When I get off of work I'll see what the app is called. I have it loaded on my tablet.
I'd start here. I'd also make sure your channel isn't set to optimize or scan for best available. That'll cause it to drop as it's constantly switching channels.

The app will tell you the optimal channel to use based upon your location. You can also walk around your house and see if there's any dead zones.
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:49 PM   #16
r_u_sharp_2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
I'm jealous of your "crappy" 30-60 mbs speeds. I do good to get 2 mbs at my house with my Verizon mifi device, which is pretty much the only thing available without spending big $$ in my area.
If we weren't paying big money.. I probably wouldnt care.

r_u_sharp_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post

I do this for a living, and this is where I would start.
5ghz should have no problems unless your house is huge.
Extenders cause more problems than they are worth sometimes, due to interference.
From the way you describe it though, it sounds like the speed isn't there to begin with.
Exactly what speed are you supposed to be getting?
If you disconnect all devices from the router, and leave only a single TV connected, do you still have the problem.
Is your TV a ROKU branded TV by chance?
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #18
Mullet
Four Point

My 2 cents:

Go to this website and test your internet speed while plugged in via cord vs. on WiFi. Maybe even try it on difference computers/devices to get more samples.

https://www.speedtest.net/

Post the speed differences here (both upload & download), and I might be able to help more.
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #19
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Wifi is inherently slower than wired all day long, but it should be within reason. Since home service is asyncronous, you will never get equal up/download speeds at home like you would in most offices. I have found speedtest.net to be more scattered in its results than others, and tend to use xfinity test site even at work.

https://www.att.com/support/speedtest/
https://speedtest.xfinity.com/
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #20
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I may have missed it, but...

Have you done a ISP speed test from the wired computer and a WIFI connected computer / device?

Like Madhatter asked, what are you supposed to be getting. I am in the crowd taht you need a better router. Worked wonders for me.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top