Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Hunt In: a tall tree
Default Teenage boys and car insurance

Well, it's that time. Insurance figured out my kid has a drivers license, and his coverage adds about $300 per month to my monthly tab.

What do poor folks do? Do they not have insurance? Do they not let their kids drive?

Today I told the lady that insurance charges like that are a racket targeting middle class and up who can afford the payments.

I've got another kid on deck as well. $600 a month for them to drive back and forth to school is ****ed ridiculous.
Jason Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
TXBlueEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, TX

Not much you can do rather than make sure the vehicle they are listed on is an older one that is paid for and only put liability on it.
TXBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
7sdad
Ten Point

How do some of these people afford the insurance and the new cars/trucks these kids drive now days? Lots of $70K 4X4 trucks in those school parking lots.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I think it added $240 for our son and $170 for the girl. I gave them their vehicles, they had to work and pay for their gas and insurance......most of the time.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

Yep, it's pretty ridiculous. I've still got two more still at home to go through this with. With my 21 year old daughter, I paid the insurance but she worked part time to pay the very small car note each month. We wanted her to have some skin in the game and learn some responsibility. Maybe encourage your son to work part time to pay for at least half of the insurance each month. Once they're to driving age, they're not far off from paying all of their own bills anyways so it gets their toe in the water. I have a sophomore daughter and a freshman son who aren't far off from driving and they will be required, just like their older sister was, to help in some way. Even though we could cover it all, I think I would be doing them an injustice to not start teaching them about bills and working to pay them now. Growing up, I bought my own first car, paid my own insurance, and any fuel or maintenance expenses that came along with that because we were poor and if I wanted to drive that's what had to happen. I'm not going to make my kids foot the whole bill, but they will have to help in some way. In my opinion, they need to understand that driving is a privilege that's not free.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
How do some of these people afford the insurance and the new cars/trucks these kids drive now days? Lots of $70K 4X4 trucks in those school parking lots.
Yes- This!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:32 AM   #7
Ishi&Elvis
Eight Point

Get them a flatbed pickup to drive and put it on a commercial license I believe is a way to get around some of that.
Ishi&Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

My deal with all three of my boys was we will provide their first car if they get a job and pay for their own insurance. The first two were working the day they turned 16, last one is 17 now and the car is sitting out front but he's still got no job so he's not driving yet.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #9
Tbar
Ten Point

When our kids were growing up we told the them we would pay for their gas but they had to work summer jobs to save up for the insurance.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #10
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Just went through this yesterday. My youngest got his license yesterday and it raised our insurance an extra 1800 a year. Man my arse is sore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #11
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

I had mine doing part-time work, odd jobs to help with the upkeep, gas, and ins. to help them understand that driving is a privilege and not a 'right'. It is a part of them growing up and learning to be responsible. There were some bumps in the road that were lessons learned and in the end everything worked out fine.
I have three that were spread out 18 yrs. from when the first one started driving until the last one got off of my insurance. We did a lot of sacrificing and praying.

Good luck with your journey.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #12
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

With most companies they just need to be listed on a vehicle. They can drive any on the policy. Mine is listed on my 2000 Wrangler liability only. The comp/collision is what’s high. Hope this helps.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #13
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

I would second Mohawkman. Are you putting your kids will full coverage on an expensive car? I had a beat Blazer, and I was listed as a secondary driver, liability only, and it was significantly cheaper than if I was the primary driver.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #14
BiggieSmalls
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fry View Post
Well, it's that time. Insurance figured out my kid has a drivers license, and his coverage adds about $300 per month to my monthly tab.

What do poor folks do? Do they not have insurance? Do they not let their kids drive?

Today I told the lady that insurance charges like that are a racket targeting middle class and up who can afford the payments.

I've got another kid on deck as well. $600 a month for them to drive back and forth to school is ****ed ridiculous.
I'm not sure how this targets the middle class, there are options.

Its all about liability, new drivers tend to cause more claims. Hot rodding, texting, delayed reflexes and such. The other option is the big yellow bus that our taxes pay for anyways, my kids had the option to ride the bus or work to cover your insurance. I worked to cover mine in HS and my kids both worked to cover theirs as well.
BiggieSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #15
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawkman View Post
With most companies they just need to be listed on a vehicle. They can drive any on the policy. Mine is listed on my 2000 Wrangler liability only. The comp/collision is what’s high. Hope this helps.
In Texas our ins company explained you cant designate cars anymore for teenagers to drive. They have to be insured on every vehicle on the policy. Its not like it was 25 yrs ago. To many wrecked mom and dads cars and were not insured.

Maybe one of the few ins guys on here will chime in and explain.

Last edited by hogslayer78; 05-19-2021 at 11:43 AM.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #16
jmac24
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I have been living with this for the last 6 years with my oldest. Our deal was I paid for car, insurance and gas until college graduation as long as he stayed on track and got good grades. He graduated from A&M last week in 3 1/2 years and starts his job on June 7. Over the weekend I handed him the title to his car and he got his own insurance and I got him off our cell phone bill all as of June 1!! Between all of that and his living expenses, I just got about a $1,200 a month raise!!
jmac24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #17
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Cheap vehicle, no loan, and liability only
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

My daughter turned 16 last August. Don't remember how much it went up but it was substantial. Then she had a wreck and it went up even more...

Dad said when I turned 16 he called the insurance and said they must made an error. They said nope, you have a teenage boy driver.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #19
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

You have my sympathy.......Having to deal with the insurance..........
My parents pitched a fit, when I got my license................
It added $69.00 a year to their policy........
And, they made me pay'em back too...............
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #20
tx_basser
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

Purchase a vehicle that you can just keep liability on and list them as driver. My son has had several incidents and we are still having to do this for him at the age of 22.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #21
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

It's absolute insanity! I'm working my azz off every day and with one teen, two twenty-somethings, and me & my wife it's nearly $1,000/month. Oldest boy just graduated from TTech last Saturday and is about to start the Master's program. I forewarned him that when he gets that last degree he's taking on his cell phone, car note, and auto insurance.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #22
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Atoka County OK

Full coverage for my 18yo son's 2017 Chevy Cruz is $350/mo.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #23
jomw10
Four Point

$300 extra per month seems rather high. You need to shop around.
I got 3 teens/college kids, plus wife and me on 5 cars and it comes to $400 per month for full coverage with progressive.
I did had to change when I added the first kid, as the original insurance wanted an arm and a leg. But I've stay with progressive when adding second and third kid.

Last edited by jomw10; 05-19-2021 at 12:33 PM.
jomw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #24
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
My deal with all three of my boys was we will provide their first car if they get a job and pay for their own insurance. The first two were working the day they turned 16, last one is 17 now and the car is sitting out front but he's still got no job so he's not driving yet.
My parents did the same , you want to drive get a job and pay for your own insurance, they were kind enough to give me a gas allowance to take my sister to school and back home before I went to work after school,
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #25
Jason Fry
Ten Point

I've got him driving a 2004 POS Mitsubishi Lancer that's long since paid for. Whole dang car isn't worth $2500 lol.

Definitely going to shop around, but still haven't got an answer to part of the question.

If this is the reality, which it has been ever since I've been a teen driver, how do the poor or regular folks deal with it? Is it noncompliance/lawbreaking, don't let them drive, or make them work extra for it?

Lol and how do I convince my wife that the kids need to work for some of their stuff?
Old 05-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #26
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Purchase them something red , sporty in a convertible or purchase them a Red Jeep! Look at the insurance cost on those and you will feel much better about what you’re paying now :-o!

It is Horrible! We went through that- our children were a year apart too! They started working earlier than when they turned 16 and worked all the way through college / navy! We did Not go out and purchase them a new car , I passed them down my old work car and they learned how to climb the latter by helping me work on it whenever needed! They paid their gas ( that could Kill you real quick) they paid half of their insurance and if they wanted a cell phone they had to pay for that themselves until they went off to college or the military!
Old 05-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #27
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBlueEyes View Post
Not much you can do rather than make sure the vehicle they are listed on is an older one that is paid for and only put liability on it.
I was called a second class citizen on here for doing this. The insurance company told me to do it. 😂🤣😂
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #28
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
They don't!

Its the american way. Throw it on plastic and finance it. The parents themselves also, don't have a pot to **** in and live paycheck to paycheck

My kids will be helping with gas/insurance from their jobs.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #29
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
In Texas our ins company explained you cant designate cars anymore for teenagers to drive. They have to be insured on every vehicle on the policy. Its not like it was 25 yrs ago. To many wrecked mom and dads cars and were not insured.

This is my understanding as well. They are insuring the driver, not the vehicle. They will be added to every vehicle on the policy.

That being said, some of you are being ripped off. When my sons started driving and he got added to our policy it added a little over $100/month and our policy has full coverage on all vehicles and 100/300/50 coverages on liability.

He has his own policy now set up exactly as ours is and itís $97 per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #30
BiggieSmalls
Six Point

Quote:

Some carriers are like that, others will let you designate a vehicle.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #31
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

You can get a vehicle that seriously limits the number of passengers, like a regular cab truck. A lot of people make their kids wait until they are 17 or 18 before they get a license. It used to be good grades would help with discounts, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore. A defensive driving course helps, too. Ask you agent for other discounts.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #32
BiggieSmalls
Six Point

Y'all need to call my wife, she's been in insurance for over 20 years and can figure it out if need be, just PM me if you want her info, I don't want to step on any toes but it's her job to find the best coverage and oddly enough she takes great pride in good deals.

Last edited by BiggieSmalls; 05-19-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #33
BrianL
Pope & Young

There is a reason they are that expensive. That age group wrecks a lot of cars.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #34
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
I was called a second class citizen on here for doing this. The insurance company told me to do it. 😂🤣😂
If you have a GOOD agent they will help you out !
Old 05-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #35
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've got him driving a 2004 POS Mitsubishi Lancer that's long since paid for. Whole dang car isn't worth $2500 lol.

Definitely going to shop around, but still haven't got an answer to part of the question.

If this is the reality, which it has been ever since I've been a teen driver, how do the poor or regular folks deal with it? Is it noncompliance/lawbreaking, don't let them drive, or make them work extra for it?

Lol and how do I convince my wife that the kids need to work for some of their stuff?
Wow.... Do you have a high risk vehicle(sports car)on your policy?
Old 05-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #36
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Wow.... Do you have a high risk vehicle(sports car)on your policy?
Nope. Full coverage on a 2017 Honda Odyssey that's got another 1.5 years to pay off. Paid off 2007 Camry, paid off 2007 Tacoma, and the '04 Lancer, all with liability only, I think. Need to check, may have comp on the two Toyotas.

I'm definitely shopping around as we speak.

And I do get it... one of my son's friends left my house, tried to turn around in my neighbor's driveway, and ran into the flippin house, and it was his 3rd wreck in 6 months.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #37
jomw10
Four Point

Definitely shop around. Got a 2020 Civic, 2020 Highlander, 2018 corolla, 2017 tacoma and 2013 Nissan nv 3500. With 3 college students and 2 adults for $450 a month. 100/300/100 coverage.
Newest/expensive car not always means more expensive. My highlander is cheaper to insure than the corolla.
jomw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 01:36 PM   #38
TA_Fab
Eight Point

My dad had me pay for the insurance, gas and most of my truck. Will do the same when I have kids of my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA_Fab is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #39
PVDT
Eight Point

With two kids driving, we split up on separate policies with different companies. My wife and one son is on one policy while I and my other son are with a different company on our own policy. It saved us a boat load. BUT don’t forget who can or cannot, per the policies, drive which vehicles.
PVDT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #40
Tiburon1
Four Point

Quote:

Mine went up 371.00 per month when I added my 16 year old. The pain is real bud.
Tiburon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #41
Evictor
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Cheap vehicle, no loan, and liability only
This plus they get to learn how to wrench on their beaters to set them up for the long run and be ahead of most kids who don't even know how to change a tire.
Also establish rules, like if they get any ticket, or in an accident and they are responsible for the insurance and the cost of the repairs to their own.
Evictor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #42
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evictor View Post
This plus they get to learn how to wrench on their beaters to set them up for the long run and be ahead of most kids who don't even know how to change a tire.
Also establish rules, like if they get any ticket, or in an accident and they are responsible for the insurance and the cost of the repairs to their own.
Absolutely!
Old 05-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #43
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBlueEyes View Post
This! I did 2 this way. 20 or so years ago my car insurance was about 800.00 a month, with two teen boys and Momaís car. I can only imagine what it would be today.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 02:28 PM   #44
duckmanep
Pope & Young

all these fancy $80k trucks running around, it's not just what your kid drives, it's what the person they hit drives that the insurance co is worried about.

another note, insurance rates can be dependent on credit scores, so hard to compare what one person pays vs another.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #45
teamron
Four Point

Hunt In: MERTZON

Quote:

Exactly!

We have State Farm and it went up $35 when I added my daughter and $55 when I added my son. We have 3 vehicles full coverage and 3 with liability only. The kicker is if your kids are A students they will get a discount like having a good credit rating. I thought that was kinda cool
teamron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #46
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

You make th get a job and pay their portion of the insurance bill. That's what my folks did and I'm fine.
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #47
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I'll pay the insurance for having a boy, as opposed to all the other stuff for having a girl.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #48
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
all these fancy $80k trucks running around, it's not just what your kid drives, it's what the person they hit drives that the insurance co is worried about.
Yep, that is what I was about to ask to some of you who have cheaper rates. What is the coverage on the other vehicle? I was hit by another driver with Progressive back in December. She had insurance but it only covered up to $25k. I don't drive an $80k truck but my truck is still mid $40k's. So my insurance company had to cover the rest and I may still be out my deductible despite the wreck being 100% her fault.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #49
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nope. Full coverage on a 2017 Honda Odyssey that's got another 1.5 years to pay off. Paid off 2007 Camry, paid off 2007 Tacoma, and the '04 Lancer, all with liability only, I think. Need to check, may have comp on the two Toyotas.

I'm definitely shopping around as we speak.

And I do get it... one of my son's friends left my house, tried to turn around in my neighbor's driveway, and ran into the flippin house, and it was his 3rd wreck in 6 months.
I remember about 5 years ago, my ex wife's Camry was about 30% more than my Chevy Crew truck and my truck as worth 25K more. I wonder if that might be part of the issue????
Old 05-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #50
southtx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata tx
Default Insurance

Quote:

Us poor folks just tell our sons to catch a ride from the kids with rich parents like yourself.
southtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top