F150 tow capacity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F150 tow capacity?

I have a 2020 F150 4wd with the 3.5 eco and the max trailer package, Roadmaster active suspension, and equilizer hitch .

I recently saw a used RV for sale that I like at a good price. The problem is its bigger /heavier than I wanted to tow.

It is a 32' model , 38' total, that weighs 7400# dry, 930# hitchweight

The truck has the GVWR 7000# package , curb weight of 4950#, a GCWR of 19400 and a max trailer rating of 12,500. Truck payload will not be much probably 750#. I dont know about the cargo weight of the trailer maybe 1,000#??
    So according to those specs I think I am good.

How is it in real life? Any experiences?

I know its longer and a wind catcher . I had wanted to keep it less than 7000lbs
    I have a 33' lightweight trailer <6000#, that blew me all over the road in a storm so I am gunshy.

It's not what you can tow but what you can stop. Safely

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

My brother in law has a similar sized trailer, and I wouldn’t want to pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton. Weight wise it’s towards the heavier end of your trucks capabilities, but size wise it’s beyond. That long trailer will manhandle lighter trucks when then the wind gets to blowing or a semi blows past you.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post

Yes This!

Comment

visit the brand camper forum ( example: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/ ) and you will find plenty of useful advice, most common will be it is ill-advised to approach your vehicle's maximum tow capacity.

Comment

You’re probably gonna get many differing opinions on this. Personally I would say that’s a bit on the large side for an F150. I tend to overkill everything though... A good friend of mine had a similar setup. He ended up putting bags on the truck and still wasn’t comfortable with it. Mainly white knuckles when having to make a quick stop - but also swayed a bit more than he liked at highway speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post
              You’re probably gonna get many differing opinions on this. Personally I would say that’s a bit on the large side for an F150. I tend to overkill everything though... A good friend of mine had a similar setup. He ended up putting bags on the truck and still wasn’t comfortable with it. Mainly white knuckles when having to make a quick stop - but also swayed a bit more than he liked at highway speeds.
              The typical bags don’t seem to help stability but are designed to level the load ( I guess this does help compared to a bumper dragging the ground)

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post

Flat land , zero wind , open roads, perfect weather
                Subtract one and I would think twice

Comment

friend of mine was in same situation , he was getting 9mpg and struggling with his f150 eco ... he bought a new f250 super duty diesel and gets 13mpg and pulls much easier too ...

so it's doable , but much better in the long run with a SD.

Comment

I had a similar sized bumper pull toy hauler. It was about all I wanted to haul with a 3/4 ton. That would be a lot for a 150 in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      My brother in law has a similar sized trailer, and I wouldn’t want to pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton. Weight wise it’s towards the heavier end of your trucks capabilities, but size wise it’s beyond. That long trailer will manhandle lighter trucks when then the wind gets to blowing or a semi blows past you.
                      I second this

Comment

I'd buy a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                          Thats the way i would go.

I also think its gonna be too tongue heavy for the half ton

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                            Me too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a trailer right about those specs.

I pulled it with a tundra for about 8 months then went to 3/4 chevy gasser. It's a night and day difference. Not necessarily on power, but now it always feels like I am pulling the trailer where before it was often more like the trailer was pushing me.

I would 100% get a bigger truck or a smaller trailer if I were in your shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X