RV Boondocking Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Boondocking Setup

What generator setups are you running when you boondock with your RV?

I've got a 42' 5th wheel and want to make a trip to the coast and beach camp with it. I want the option for 50 AMP service to be able to run both AC's, fridge, lights and a couple other devices. I did a quick wattage calculator on what i might be running all at one time and came up with 6550 starting watts and 4350 running watts.

Trying to decide if i should go with two smaller inverter generators paralleled or one larger generator? What does the GS say?

I have used 2 of these in parallel while boondocking with no issues. I am in fact selling both, including the parallel kit since I have no use for them any more. Run on both gas and propane.

Comment

I use an EcoFlow Delta and solar panels but my needs aren’t the same as other’s. I also use a small ALPs Propane inverter generator, also have very good inverter for the vehicle. Options !

Boondocking, dats what we do !

Live small.

Comment

We don't have power at the deer lease so I'm boondocking all the time. I run two Honda 2200 inverter generators run in parallel with one of these as fuel tank:

You have more trailer than me though. I've got a 39' TT with 50amp service but only one AC.

Comment

Ren087 has what you need

By beach camp, do you mean you will park that thing on a beach? Just curious

Comment

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
            I have used 2 of these in parallel while boondocking with no issues. I am in fact selling both, including the parallel kit since I have no use for them any more. Run on both gas and propane.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
            PM Sent

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
              Ren087 has what you need

By beach camp, do you mean you will park that thing on a beach? Just curious
              Yes, thinking about taking it down to Surfside or somewhere similar and camp for 2-3 days.

Obviously summer time will require AC's to be running, at least at night when we are sleeping.

Comment

I'm also looking at the Champion 6250 Watt open frame inverted generator. Looks like it could satisfy most of my needs with only needing one generator and strategizing how i run my AC's. Looks like the main tradeoff is it is a bit noisier but for a much lower cost. I could always build a small enclosure to help keep the noise down.

Comment

My issue with a large generator was loading/unloading by myself, I run two small hondas in parallel because the size is manageable. Also with a 5th wheel you likely wont have a ton of bed space for a large generator.

Comment

You can turn your fridge to gas and save some watts. We are actually looking for a similar set up, but we also need the genny to power our house so we are north of 8k watts.

We can get by with a 3k Honda inverter on our camper, but can only run 1 ac, and nothing else. Also, you can look at soft starts for your ac units to reduce that starting watts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
                      I'm also looking at the Champion 6250 Watt open frame inverted generator. Looks like it could satisfy most of my needs with only needing one generator and strategizing how i run my AC's. Looks like the main tradeoff is it is a bit noisier but for a much lower cost. I could always build a small enclosure to help keep the noise down.

Smaller quieter generators paired are worth the extra money. Nobody wants to listen to all that noise!!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        Smaller quieter generators paired are worth the extra money. Nobody wants to listen to all that noise!!
                        Extra $$$ maybe so, 2 x $$$ maybe not.

Comment

you are wanting about 6000W of generation. those are heavy machines as noted above. using the smaller combo units is a trade off but many times you dont need all that much running.
                          Also, from what I have seen those enclosures that are portable dont really do much.

Comment

2 smaller Hondas. You will not regret it. Easy to maneuver. Quiet. Fuel efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
                              Extra $$$ maybe so, 2 x $$$ maybe not.

Easily worth it. I’ve done it both ways

Comment

Working...
                              X