No announcement yet.

POACHER problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have dealt with poaching, theft, vandalism, etc., etc. Needless to say, we have developed a good working relationship with the GWs. A lot of their cases are dismissed or reduced substantially or even dropped because of local DAs. If your DA or even judge has other motives besides throwing the book at theses guys, the GWs have to build an even stronger case than usual to get a DA to take it.

I know that our GWs are always very excited to catch people. However, from what I understand, it is an uphill battle for them unfortunately. I was shocked to hear how many landowners wont even prosecute, how many cases the DA won't take, and how many cases the judge reduced to a slap on the wrist.

Comment

I caught a couple of guys trespassing with a gun several years ago on our lease in east Texas . Game Warden came out to the lease and arrested them. It took about three years before they went to court.

Comment

it is a shame, justice takes so long, then they wonder why someone took justice into there own hands

Comment

POACHER problem

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
          We have dealt with poaching, theft, vandalism, etc., etc. Needless to say, we have developed a good working relationship with the GWs. A lot of their cases are dismissed or reduced substantially or even dropped because of local DAs. If your DA or even judge has other motives besides throwing the book at theses guys, the GWs have to build an even stronger case than usual to get a DA to take it.

I know that our GWs are always very excited to catch people. However, from what I understand, it is an uphill battle for them unfortunately. I was shocked to hear how many landowners wont even prosecute, how many cases the DA won't take, and how many cases the judge reduced to a slap on the wrist.

Same here we are in East texas. Our GW’s were very cool. Took about 8 months but two of
          the 4 poachers went back to prison. These were old school professional poachers. Family business! The GW’s sent one of the pics to the local police who identified the tattoo. Every since then we have had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Game Wardens here are great. The warden that worked my case was very professional. Dotted every i and crossed every t. It was a slow process. Good to know that you have help out there. Also word gets out, and that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the update OP, although I don’t think I even saw this thread the first go ‘round. GWs are not the end game unfortunately, it takes a DA that’s willing to take the ball and run with it. I found that out the hard way, not a poaching case, but a theft. We had to gift wrap it and lay it in the DA’s lap before he would prosecute a $60K theft, I can imagine how little interest they would have in a simple tresspassing or poaching case. While either would be high on our priority list, most city dwelling DA’s would probably rather bust a dope dealer. Just my opinion.

Comment

Great ending, glad it was taken care of for you.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

A lot of folks talk about cell cams on here. Won’t that give you an instant update to where you can catch em? Especially living there.

Comment

Good for you and nailing these scum. I, too, had great success with my case involving 2 trespassers in Sabine County at Sabine NF, last fall. The two GWs and DA were awesome. Of course, excellent photos helped out. My two scumbags bragged to a guy, "they won't do anything" when he tried to warn them. Fools.

Comment

I love a happy ending.

Comment

Great news

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CSATEXAS View Post
                            TP&W did arrest my poacher from a couple of years ago. They, along with my game camera photos, built a solid case against the poacher. He was charged with killing a illegal buck out of season, criminal trespass, hunting with an illegal weapon (.22), and harvesting a deer out of season. The assistant DA in Angelina County took the case. Great job TP&W!
                            Glad he filed on them, but it seems like there was only one Class B Misdemeanor and the others Class C (similar to a speeding ticket)

You would think the GW would have filed Hunt Without Landowner Consent- State Jail Felony. Wonder if that’s one of those deals where the DA lowered the charge.

Either way, glad they got something out of them.

Comment

What happened after he was arrested and charged?

Fine? Jail time?

Comment

Catch them, shoot them in the leg(s), and they will not return...

Comment

Working...
                                X