Who shoots a 257. Weatherby Mag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kck View Post
    Got a question for the 257 Weatherby guys. Why? Not trying to be the **** in the punch bowl here by any means, just never understood the draw to that caliber so I ask out of ignorance here. I built one for a customer but I asked him the same and he said cuz it shoots flat and he always wanted one. Copy that so that’s what he got. However, just always figured if you can push a 130 grain 6.5 at 3150+ with better BC, very little elevation difference and more energy down range why wouldn’t you go that route. Is the recoil that much more mild in the 257? Again, not trying to stir the pot by any means but I’ve always wondered about this so this thread seemed like a good place to pose the question.

Speed.

Comment

I ain’t gonna lie. I wouldnt mind having one. And I have two 25/06’s already.

Comment

I shoot 110 Accubonds out of mine. It is a great caliber.

Comment

My brother and I have always shot the 100 grain Spitzers and Spire points with great results. Found several boxes of the new hornady interbond 100 gr so I’ll try those too. We both mostly neck shoot or high shoulder shoot if necessary and they have never let us down. And for the question why, before most scopes had turrets the 257 shot flat enough for you to **** near hold high on hair at 300 and hit them dead in the shoulder. Took the guess work out when hunting long senderos and oat fields. And I have just always been partial to Roy calibers. Have a 300 wby and will add a 7mm wby and 240 wby before it’s all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love mine. 110 accubonds @3575 fps shoot flat and hit like lightning.

Comment

Originally posted by Muygrande View Post
              Love mine. 110 accubonds @3575 fps shoot flat and hit like lightning.
              It that with factory ammo or hand loads ?

Comment

I load 115gr VLDs

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                  It that with factory ammo or hand loads ?
                  Hand loads. From what I hear the weatherby factory loads are pretty hot.

Comment

Mine loves the 115 nosler ballistic tip. And I love it back! Killed a lot of animals and verylittle need to track. Like others have said, out to 400 yds just hold high on hair and squeeze.

Comment

When I owned one in past, my favorite deer killer round was the 80gr ttsx. Ultra high speed and high retention bullet knocked them down fast. Was very flat shooting round making it easy to shoot out to 350 pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
                        Mine loves the 115 nosler ballistic tip. And I love it back! Killed a lot of animals and verylittle need to track. Like others have said, out to 400 yds just hold high on hair and squeeze.
                        Wait. Aren’t Nosler Ballistic Tips traveling at high velocity supposed to blow up on the hide and have no penetration?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Wait. Aren’t Nosler Ballistic Tips traveling at high velocity supposed to blow up on the hide and have no penetration?

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I shoot the older 100 grain Spitzers. I have several 100 grain NBT’s for reloading. Used RL22 in past but have some H1000 I want to try.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
                              I shoot the older 100 grain Spitzers. I have several 100 grain NBT’s for reloading. Used RL22 in past but have some H1000 I want to try.

Do these hold up ok at shorter ranges? Part of the reason I went with 120 NPT is I am concerned a standard cup and core bullet would explode on impact unless it has the distance to slow down to its performance range. I’ll be hunting at 250yds or less, where admittedly a 243 would work just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

They always leave 2 holes with the exception of one that was shot in the brisket

Comment

Working...
                                X