Granite/Quartz Ballpark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granite/Quartz Ballpark

We are thinking it’s time to retire our 1990 green laminate countertops. In the early stages but trying to get some ballpark figures before going in to multiple shops.

I did a quick estimate and got 45 square feet not including however much is typically run on the back splash. Pretty symmetric U with sink and stove top cut out. Lowe’s advertises granite starting at $40 a foot and quartz at $50.

Is $2000-3000 actually possible or is $5-7000 more realistic by the time the back splash new sink etc is installed?

I had some quotes on my moms countertops. She had a small kitchen fire. They came back about 3500. It wasn't much counter top space either.
    This was about 5 weeks after the freeze.

Comment

We are doing a kitchen remodel and granite is being installed Tuesday. $50-55 SF installed was what we found to be average for some nice granite. Keep in mind there will be some waste possibly depending on the angles you have and that is part of the SF you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post
        We are doing a kitchen remodel and granite is being installed Tuesday. $50-55 SF installed was what we found to be average for some nice granite. Keep in mind there will be some waste possibly depending on the angles you have and that is part of the SF you pay for.

Was the backsplash quote totally in addition to?

Comment

I've been in the stone wholesale industry for 20 years. Lowe's may have granite starting at $40 sq/ft but they'll probably nickel & dime you for all sorts of other things. They also have you sign a waiver about seams which gives them permission to give you as many seams as they want. I suggest getting three bids & don't always go with the cheapest. If you can hold off till January you can get better deals then since it's the slowest month out of the year. Yelp is your friend.

Comment

Cant help on granite but Just had 45 st of marble at $105 a sf. That’s on the high side with other thinner marble was running $85 to $95.

Comment

High end granite 3cm was $55/ft around me.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                High end granite 3cm was $55/ft around me.
                $55 a ft is exactly what we paid for the granite in our new house build. That was installed and included backsplash in baths. I’d think a remodel with tear out would obviously be extra.

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post

why is the price based on sqft installed if you pay for waste, which is not installed?

Comment

We just had about 100 sq feet of quartz installed in my kitchen. HD was $50 sq ft just for the quartz. We found a guy that installed and supplied at that cost. We bought the backsplash material and he installed that included in same price.

Comment

I pay 26$ a sqft for level 1 granite for my homes. And 100$ per sink cutout.

Comment

Can’t help much on pricing, but as for the sink, look at just an open tub sink. Ours has been so much better than a divided sink. Second, since you’re updating, I don’t think I’ve seen a 4” backsplash installed in a kitchen since around 1990 when builders installed laminate tops.. Kitchens have full tile backsplashes now.

Comment

Granite/Quartz Ballpark

Most slabs are 6x10’ in size or very close to that. Materials are usually around 15-20$ sq ft and fabricators charge upwards around $20 sq ft to install. This is my price as a gc and I I mark it up from there, about 20%. Around $100 for the sink cut out in most cases and the cost of the sink itself. Then a plumber to reinstall the sink faucet. If you are going granite backsplash and not tile, they are usually 6” (.5 x the linear foot to figure sq ft needed)

For kitchens we typically will install a nice mosaic tile in lieu of the granite and run it on up to the upper cabinets. Backsplashes are still very typical in bathroom. Good luck with your project.
                          Last edited by Full Throttle; 05-29-2021, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                            We are thinking it’s time to retire our 1990 green laminate countertops. In the early stages but trying to get some ballpark figures before going in to multiple shops.

I did a quick estimate and got 45 square feet not including however much is typically run on the back splash. Pretty symmetric U with sink and stove top cut out. Lowe’s advertises granite starting at $40 a foot and quartz at $50.

Is $2000-3000 actually possible or is $5-7000 more realistic by the time the back splash new sink etc is installed?
                            $2-3000 is very possible. Our last house, we had a similar kitchen as you describe with formica countertops. We had the granite company (not a box store) remove the old coutertops and sink and install a level 2 granite for about $2100. If I remember correctly, the level 3 choices were about $2400. This included a new sink which we had about 3-4 choices. They did a great job. This didn't included the backsplash as I did this myself. It also didn't include disconnecting and reconnecting the plumbing after install.

Comment

You might get an estimate from Dura-mar in Granbury. We used them when we remodeled our house in 2013. They have left over granite from previous jobs that they will install way cheaper if you like the granite. They did good work also.

Comment

Working...
                              X