AR build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR build

Plan to build my first AR and have a few questions, any help Is appreciated.
    1. AR tool kit, both Wheeler and Avid say they have a kit with all the tools necessary, any recommendations as to which one?

2. Plan to purchase completed upper but unfinished lower. Do not want a fixed permanent sight,probably mlock up to flash suppressor. Don't want to build a 3k AR nor a $550 AR. What completed upper and unfinished lower would you rec?

Thanks for any help

Originally posted by Terry View Post
    Plan to build my first AR and have a few questions, any help Is appreciated.
    1. AR tool kit, both Wheeler and Avid say they have a kit with all the tools necessary, any recommendations as to which one?

2. Plan to purchase completed upper but unfinished lower. Do not want a fixed permanent sight,probably mlock up to flash suppressor. Don't want to build a 3k AR nor a $550 AR. What completed upper and unfinished lower would you rec?

Thanks for any help

If you’re not building the upper then no tool kit is needed, really just need a punch set to guide pins in place easier. Go Aero Precision for just all around quality. They’re not too pricey but quality is top notch. Any particular reason you want to build the lower instead of buying a full built gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know that there are a lot of people that will tell you different they will claim how you have to have all of the fancy tools and stuff so I am probably in the minority here a set of cheap Harbor freight roll pin punches a little tiny hammer a utility knife and about 4 inches of electrical tape that’s all you need not a fancy tool set
      But then I am also the guy that believes a lower is just a lower I would never spend the money on one of those real high dollar lowers with a cool name I had rather invest that money in a good trigger

Comment

Are you building one of them "Ghost" guns???

Comment

Other than a punch set, the only tool I'd recommend is a block vise but that isn't totally needed, just makes it easier.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike View Post
            I know that there are a lot of people that will tell you different they will claim how you have to have all of the fancy tools and stuff so I am probably in the minority here a set of cheap Harbor freight roll pin punches a little tiny hammer a utility knife and about 4 inches of electrical tape that’s all you need not a fancy tool set
            But then I am also the guy that believes a lower is just a lower I would never spend the money on one of those real high dollar lowers with a cool name I had rather invest that money in a good trigger

That 4” of tape is crucial!

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
              That 4” of tape is crucial!

Or a very accurate tiny hammer swing lol!

OP I just use a wheeler punch kit. Comes with a hammer that’s brass and poly. Tape. And that’s it. Allen wrench or screw driver for your grip bolt. Built a ton of em

Comment

I am a fan of Aero Precision for upper and lower. I am sure there is something better and something cheaper but I feel like it is great value.

Comment

Want to build because I want too, a bucket list thing. If this goes well will do a total,build, Reason for more than a punch and roll pin set. Thanks.

Comment

Just do your first one in a small area so you can find the spring loaded détente pin when it goes flying off somewhere. lol

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      Just do your first one in a small area so you can find the spring loaded détente pin when it goes flying off somewhere. lol
                      True!

I have more money invested in my trigger group than any other parts, but still have less than $600 in total.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                        Hah! This exactly.

Or make sure you have spare parts.

Comment

Yeah, saw that on a video

Comment

Do not do it on a carpeted floor those detents are impossible to find in carpet

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike View Post

I’m with this guy^^^^^!! Don’t over think it!!!!K.I.S!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X