Safe? Smell test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe? Smell test?

First time processing my own game and I pulled out so links that I smoked out of the freezer. I saw black circles has appeared. I thawed them out and will grill up tomorrow... pink salt was added... is this safe? Any ckue what is going on?
    Attached Files

No idea. But there's no way I'd eat 'em.

Comment

It could be blood or something to do with the smoking. If you froze it and handled it right it good. You be able to tell more after you thaw it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
        It could be blood or something to do with the smoking. If you froze it and handled it right it good. You be able to tell more after you thaw it out.
        This ^.
        If it went in the deep freeze in good shape, it should be good to go.

Comment

May be fine, but I'd chunk it.

Comment

Assume you just put a little smoke on them but didn’t cook all the way?

Comment

You grabbed the wrong package my friend. Those are mountain oysters. Your sausage is still in da freezer

Comment

Have a bar be que this weekend and invite some "buddies" over... Grill up a package and feed it to them! If they call you on monday and ask you where you got that sausage from your good to go. If they call you sunday afternoon saying they've been on the pot all day just go ahead and throw it all out!!

Comment

Is this the only package you have that has those spots?

Comment

It's just smoke sweat....grill away!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post

[emoji1375]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it don’t smell then no worries.

Comment

Smell test is always the best. If it smells funky after thawing or while on the grill, it gets pitched. That being said, I’ve eaten sausage that I’ve processed that was 2-3 years old, no issues. I am moderately concerned about the amount of fluid in that bag. Seems like the meat was pretty bloody when you ground and stuffed. Good on you for learning a new craft. Processing your own game is a lot of work, but it’s super rewarding. We have it down to a science, but I thoroughly enjoy playing with seasonings, smoke times, meat/fat ratios. Shoot me a PM if you’ve got any questions. We make anywhere from 300-1,200# of sausage a year. I’ve got some threads on here, but I’ve got no idea how to link them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can cook almost anything fully and eat it!! That doesn't mean its right, but you can cook the crud out of it..

Me personally, I'd trust what I made myself over a processor, especially if I don't really know them.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              To be honest I think this is correct. I vaguely remember seeing this right off the smoker (cold smoked on traeger).

Either way, I either enjoy good BBQ or get out of working this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X