Which AR15 round for pigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    223/556 does the job and easiest to stay on target with or multiple targets. Really depends on your purpose. You hunting or killing is what you have to ask yourself
    Plus 1
    Sometimes they drop, sometimes they don’t. I’m okay with either outcome.

More important to me is reduced risk of ricochet/deflected rounds when using 22 cal plastic tip or even SP rounds. Less risk=less worry for me.

However, if I cared about anchoring them consistently I would consider 6.8, Grendel or 7.62x39.

Comment

75-77 grain .223/5.56. Personally I would use the money you've allocated to buy another AR to buy more .223 ammo or another .223 AR. since you already have ammo. It's a bad time to buy a new caliber rifle that you don't already have ammo for.

Comment

6.8!!

I own one so I’m partial. I’ve had a 6.5 Grendel also and nothing wrong with that either.

Comment

7.62x39 or 6.8spc/6.5Grendel. For hunting you will not know a difference between the latter two. I have been shooting 6.8 in AR platform since it was introduced and my dad shoots a Grendel. Both equally as devastating. It’s always a toss up whether I grab my 6.8 or my x39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

7.62 for lots of cheap plinking and pigs, grendel for a dual purpose deer/pig gun then 223 for plinking and heavy soft point for pigs. IMO those are the only calibers needed.

Comment

Never shot anything with 6.5 Grendel but have experience with 6.8SPC and have 0 complaints

Comment

Originally posted by dbelcher269 View Post
                Legend has been pretty easy to find around here. Have a couple cousins that have ARs in the them and don’t have a problem killing pigs and such. I use 120 grain SIG HT or Barnes TX in my blackout with very good results. Normal times the 6.5 Grendel is easy to find.
                I’ve got a 350 legend AR15. The Pigs really don’t care for it. Haven’t tried lately but it was pretty easy to get ammo a few months back.

Comment

Easy to reload for the 6x45. Buy a barrel and slap it on. Same bolt. I picked up 100s of .223 at the range and used them. Full length resize deprime. Add some powder, seat a bullet and shoot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
                    .75 grain BTHP in .556.

Boom

Comment

I kinda like the 6.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The 6.8 is great for hogs and deer. Alot more energy than a 223. Drops them dead.
                        Ammo is easier to find than other calibers listed to.

Comment

450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM. I would almost say 375 SOCOM, but I don't think you will find many of those factory loaded, by any company. I think there is one company that makes them.

The 458 SOCOM has a wider range of bullets it can shoot, of the three. The 458 shoots .458 caliber bullets, which are used in 45-70s. The 458 SOCOM, actually is very close to the common 45-70 loads. The 450 Bushmaster, uses .451 diameter bullets, which are what a 45 Long Colt or 454 Casull shoots. The 375 SOCOM, is a 458 SOCOM, necked down to 375 caliber, it used the same bullets as a 375 Winchester.

I only have experience with the 458 SOCOM, it's a very hard hitting round. It is now one of my favorite brush guns, pig guns. Inside of 200 yards, it should put most anything on the ground.

Comment

75 gr bthp Hornady black has really impressed me lately in my daniel defense mk12. Shoots fantastic on paper and is bad news for the critters! I wish I had a Grendel though!

Comment

I’ve tried them all with thermal.
                              Started out with a 223 shooting 55gr SP’s. They worked well on the 1st shot but didn’t go great on runners.

Swapped over to a 10.5” 300 blackout and it did a little better than the 223.

Tried 6.5g and 6.8spc. They were fantastic but with as much shooting as I do, it was just to expensive.
                              Now i shoot 7.62x39 in both 10.5” and 16” barrels and have been extremely impressed with 124gr/125gr/154gr cheap Russian soft points. Rarely get an exit but it wrecks pigs from 5lbs to 300lbs. Picture of the hog in the bed of the truck weighed 295lbs. He dropped dead and was not shot in the head

Comment

6.5 Grendel

Comment

Working...
                                X