Should I cut off water to the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I cut off water to the house?

So far we have got by in city of Austin from dripping the faucets. Water pressure got very low abd some neighbors are turning their water off at the street abd then letting the faucets bleed out the remaining water. Is this the best thing to do or should they just keep dripping? Tia

if it ain't broke don't fix it

Comment

a little late now on shutting off since temps are supposed to be on the rise from here on out to the weekend. At least here.

Comment

[QUOTE=Charles;15477566]if it ain't broke don't fix it[/
        That’s my first thought too but I don’t know about this stuff our heater alone has ajways kept the pipes warm enough in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
          a little late now on shutting off since temps are supposed to be on the rise from here on out to the weekend. At least here.
          My thoughts as well. I heard low pressure can burn up a hot water heater abd was also told to turn the hot water heater off. Seems like it could all be unnecessary lol

Comment

[quote=forest-hunter;15477574]
            Originally posted by Charles View Post
            if it ain't broke don't fix it[/
            That’s my first thought too but I don’t know about this stuff our heater alone has ajways kept the pipes warm enough in the past.
            if your pipes haven't froze the last couple of days keep doing what you are doing. No need to make a change now. If for some reason they freeze, turn the main water supply off and open every faucet in your house.

Comment

I would just fill up some buckets and tub and have water on stand by for toilets. But keep doing what your doing now. We always fill up the tub and as many 5 gallon buckets of water up for emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
                I would just fill up some buckets and tub and have water on stand by for toilets. But keep doing what your doing now. We always fill up the tub and as many 5 gallon buckets of water up for emergency.
                Thanks that’s what we will do then.

Comment

My GF lives in Austin and got the notice to quite dripping faucets and boil water for drinking. Seems with the power outages (both in Austin and here in SA from what I've read) they can't keep the water towers filled and also having issues with chemical treatment of the water and pumps freezing up. We are on the downhill side of this but I'd still be concerned about piping on exterior walls (especially older houses) and in attics since it's going to be freezing there for another 36 hours but atleast not the hard freeze we had earlier. I told her just to drip the interior faucets on an exterior wall - she has no pipping in her attic. Her wall hydrants are still wrapped. It's hard to get all the water out of a system especially if it PEX with how they install it. By draining it you atleast won't have a pressurized line and you'll have less chance of it busting it if it freezes in some areas since the water can expand some yet in the pipe. Guess that really didn't help you out.... just depends on your situation. As mentioned fill up tubs with water.

You can usually flush a toiler with half a gallon of water poured from a pitcher a few feet above the toilet. You don't need to fill the tank as this uses more water. The added velocity of the water being poured from a few feet over the toiler will push 'almost' anything out of the toilet. I never use a plunger for a clog - the pitcher method works almost every time. I won't splash anymore the taking a pee standing up either if it's done right.....

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies96 View Post
                    My GF lives in Austin and got the notice to quite dripping faucets and boil water for drinking. Seems with the power outages (both in Austin and here in SA from what I've read) they can't keep the water towers filled and also having issues with chemical treatment of the water and pumps freezing up. We are on the downhill side of this but I'd still be concerned about piping on exterior walls (especially older houses) and in attics since it's going to be freezing there for another 36 hours but atleast not the hard freeze we had earlier. I told her just to drip the interior faucets on an exterior wall - she has no pipping in her attic. Her wall hydrants are still wrapped. It's hard to get all the water out of a system especially if it PEX with how they install it. By draining it you atleast won't have a pressurized line and you'll have less chance of it busting it if it freezes in some areas since the water can expand some yet in the pipe. Guess that really didn't help you out.... just depends on your situation. As mentioned fill up tubs with water.

You can usually flush a toiler with half a gallon of water poured from a pitcher a few feet above the toilet. You don't need to fill the tank as this uses more water. The added velocity of the water being poured from a few feet over the toiler will push 'almost' anything out of the toilet. I never use a plunger for a clog - the pitcher method works almost every time. I won't splash anymore the taking a pee standing up either if it's done right.....
                    Thanks Aggie 96, I’m not sure either just made the post because I was on the fence. That’s cool about the added velocity unclogging a commode. I’ll be trying that trick out Thanks.

Comment

I brain farted and am paying the price for it now. Thought about it and got caught up with the generator. An hour later my wife walked out in the garage and water was draining out around the light fixture.
                      Turn it off either at the street or where it comes into the house. And drain the pipes and leave the faucets in house open. We’re taking a bath at the neighbors house now. Don’t be a dummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        I brain farted and am paying the price for it now. Thought about it and got caught up with the generator. An hour later my wife walked out in the garage and water was draining out around the light fixture.
                        Turn it off either at the street or where it comes into the house. And drain the pipes and leave the faucets in house open. We’re taking a bath at the neighbors house now. Don’t be a dummy.
                        Dang it’s gonna be busted pipes all over the state. Hope it’s not too hard of a cleanup for you HM

Comment

My gen died right before dark on the coldest night. I just drained the house and well. Got power day later and turned well back on and all was fine. Thinking of doing same tonight.

Comment

Don’t chance it folks. I’m a week out from any plumber at least. Posted a thread and here and got zero responses. Turn the valve and drain the pipes. End of problem. 5 homes on my street have broken pipes. And that’s a small cul de sac.

Comment

what do you do about a gas water heater? On or off?

Comment

Working...
                              X