No announcement yet.

Scary Places/Deer leases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I slept in a canvas wall tent with about 10 other men after everyone had had beans for dinner...the noises will definitely keep you awake at night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Leased for a couple of years just west of Barksdale. The old ranch had a house that was over a hundred years old where a murder/suicide had taken place a few years before we had leased the place. Never saw or felt anything weird, but my daughter wasn't too happy when she found out after we had left the place.

Comment

Those who have read this far beware, Saturday evening’s hunt will include Halloween spirits, a full moon and thinking about offthemap’s story. That should make even Stephen King stay close to the campfire.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          I slept in a canvas wall tent with about 10 other men after everyone had had beans for dinner...the noises will definitely keep you awake at night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Cannot picture that without remembering the bean eating cowboy’s campfire scene in "Blazing Saddles". Hope you were able to bed down close to that tent door!

Comment

Great thread!

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
              I was bowhunting in the Neches River bottoms several years ago and was after one particular buck that had eluded me for 3 years prior. Giving it my best effort, I set up a new pop-up nearer to his bedding area on the "island" part of an oxbow slough which was pretty thick cover and hard to get in and out of even in the daylight. The wind died completely one night (which is about all you can hope for in a river bottom when it comes to appropriate wind direction for hunting) so I decided to give that blind a try. When I woke up it was an eerie morning... zero wind, dead calm & silent, with a bright 3/4 moon. I slipped through the woods on foot with a very dim red headlamp pretty early and was sitting still waiting for daylight by 4:45 (eager, I used to be). It was dead calm. Pretty sure I heard a mouse fart from across the river. DEAD CALM.

I had been sitting there in the dark for about 30 minutes when I heard a big tree fall. It had to have been within 100y and seemed like it took 10 minutes to get all the way to the ground. Crazy loud and startling since there was zero wind. After the crash but before everything had fully settled down again, I heard a noise that I won't soon forget. It came on within seconds of the tree falling and sounded like deep, loud, raspy, womans scream over-and-over, back-to-back and you could feel the panic in it's voice. The screaming lasted for a minute or two and then it went dead silent again... now it's 5am.
              Whatever was making the noise was REAL close, as in coming from the same 5 acre oxbow "island" where I was sitting...in the pitch dark...where I only had a bow, a couple sharp sticks, no flashlight and new skidmarks in my underwear. In my defense, that was the first time I crapped my pants as an adult.

I decided to stay in the blind because of my circumstances (no gun, no light, thick brush, not wanting to get scalped by one of the indian ghosts from the nearby Caddo Mounds, etc. etc.). It stayed quiet & still until daylight when the thick fog rolled in which only made things more creepy and prompted me to engage in a light morning jog across surface water and through the trunks of 100 year old oak trees as I made my way back to the cabin. Also the last time I can say I enjoyed running as an adult, too.

I never saw what was making those hellish noises that morning and I never could find that freshly-downed tree, either. I've explained the noise to biologists, used the google machine, and quizzed the older, wisdom givers around a campfire about what it could have been with no conclusive answers. I have surmised it was likely either a mature fox bawl/scream or an immature mountain lion, but my gut tells me it was a black panther tom. And probably a man-eater. Because after all, everyone knows they are indigenous to East Texas & the population is apparently thriving
              I have not laughed so hard in a long time. If I had been there also, you would never hear the end of that deal.

Comment

Offthemap hahaha that made me literally LOL.

Comment

Was hunting in Oregon many years back. My brother, a friend, and I were about 40 miles back in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness and were driving back to camp after hunting.
                  As we were driving down the road I saw a faint glimpse of a man carrying what looked like saddlebag and a cowboy hat walking down the side of the road. The man was so faint that it almost seemed like a figment of my imagination. (I said nothing thinking I was just seeing things). We continued to drive and my brother said " Did you just see that man walking down the road in the hat?" I looked at him and said " Holy s**t, did you see that too? My friend that was driving thought we were crazy! We made him turn around and the man was gone. It made absolutley no sense for someone to be so far back in the wilderness, walking in the dark and going further in. We had not ran across any other hunters in the 3 days we were hunting. It was absolutely bizarre that we both saw the same thing (down to the saddlebag) and both thought we were just seeing things!! We were certain it was a ghost!! We called that area the wandering cowboy unit from then on. Had an eerie feeling that whole trip.

Comment

Offthemap. Any chance it was a Lynx? Here's a link to creepy animal noises, and it sounds like the noise you were describing. Listen to the sound the Lynx makes after the fox around 0:42. If I were in the woods and I heard that sound in the dark I'd be skidding my shorts too.

Comment

I live out in the country west of New Braunfels. I moved out here in the fall and my first night in the house I had all the windows open to soak in some lovely hill country air. Around midnight I got woken up by what sounded like a woman screaming outside the house. It went off maybe 10-15 times over an hour then no more. Needless to say I hit google IMMEDIATELY since I wasn't sleeping anymore. Turns out it was fox from what I narrowed down. I've got quite a few of them around here it turns out. Growing up in the country much further south we didn't have any running around so this country boy wasn't used to them. Still happens ever so often and still gives me chills. It almost stranger when you hear from a distance because then you question if it's actually a fox. Definitely can understand some skid marks!

Comment

Wasn't a deer lease. It was a camp in the Davey Crockett National Forest.

I decided at last minute to go hunting. Didn't want to load the whole shebang, so decided to just get a tarp, a cot, and sleeping bag. Usually a tent, but not this time.
                        I was fast asleep under my little lean to, with the fire just barely still warm, about 3:30 am or so and I started waking up, a little drowsy, a little cold. I stirred the fire abit and tried to go back to sleep. Just about that time a coyote almost tore down my lean to down. It was kinda yelping, kinda growling as it did it's run by. I just about broke my Hawken in half because I gripped it so tight. Took awhile for the adrenaline to subside.

I used to hunt here local, Kerens area and there is an old cemetery, got some Civil War graves in it with wrought iron fences and nice monuments that are severely overgrown. Just spooky looking at it.

Found a real nice spot relatively close to it. Seems I always cut my evening hunts just a bit short there for some reason.
                        Last edited by hpdrifter; 10-29-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
                          Offthemap. Any chance it was a Lynx? Here's a link to creepy animal noises, and it sounds like the noise you were describing. Listen to the sound the Lynx makes after the fox around 0:42. If I were in the woods and I heard that sound in the dark I'd be skidding my shorts too.

https://youtu.be/kTcN0SgrqZg
                          Texas, is not lynx territory. Bobcats yes, and they are very similar, but no lynx here. You got to get way up north in places where it gets very cold to find lynx.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                            Texas, is not lynx territory. Bobcats yes, and they are very similar, but no lynx here. You got to get way up north in places where it gets very cold to find lynx.
                            Yes sir your right. I just did my research. Sorry about that. Any chance a bobcat made that noise?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies96 View Post
                              I live out in the country west of New Braunfels. I moved out here in the fall and my first night in the house I had all the windows open to soak in some lovely hill country air. Around midnight I got woken up by what sounded like a woman screaming outside the house. It went off maybe 10-15 times over an hour then no more. Needless to say I hit google IMMEDIATELY since I wasn't sleeping anymore. Turns out it was fox from what I narrowed down. I've got quite a few of them around here it turns out. Growing up in the country much further south we didn't have any running around so this country boy wasn't used to them. Still happens ever so often and still gives me chills. It almost stranger when you hear from a distance because then you question if it's actually a fox. Definitely can understand some skid marks!
                              That's odd, I lived in a house outside of New Braunfels for about 14 maybe 15 years. we had lots of coyotes, gray foxes and bobcats around the house. It was out in the middle of the country, on about 750 ac. The house is a old house built around 1900. I thought early 1900s, but later found out, it may have been built in the late 1880s. Whenever it was built, it was a old pier and beam house. I loved it. I like sleeping with the windows open, that house has a lot of big windows all over the house. So most of the year, the windows were open. I never heard anything odd, that sounded like a woman yelling or anything similar. I would listen to the coyotes all the time at night and the ringtails running around on the roof. Then the **** coons, and possums on the back porch. Then we had quite a few great horned owls. I always liked it when the owls showed up and hung out in the trees around the house at night. A few times, I am pretty sure we heard a bob cat, but not often. The only time I ever heard a fox making noise, it was a small noise, can't describe it. I heard them a few times, when they were out hunting mice, actually after catching a mouse.

I never heard anything I was not able to identify, fairly quickly. But then I do sleep very soundly. So it's possible that there were foxes making all types of noise at night, that I never heard. When the coyotes, started sounding off, I usually heard them.

One thing I can think of, that made some eerie, noises at night, was two coons fighting. When that is going on in the back yard and you have the windows open, that will wake you up, in a hurry.
                              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-29-2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

A few moons ago, I was hunting some family property outside of Smithville. Walking into the Forrest one morning, my flash light caught the reflection of two eyes. They were about 7 feet off the ground and further apart than a mans eyes. I froze so hard and fast,
                                I didn’t want to see what it was. I turned around and walked away back the way I came. Pretty sure it was a Sasquatch and I’m fine not knowing for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X