School me on hunting from Tripods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you who use one, do you brush yours in? Do you wear a ghillie or a leafy suit? Do you just leave your pack on the ground or do you have some way to hang your pack?

Got a draw hunt in south Texas coming up next month. Hunted Laguna Atascosa last year and just used a chair. This time I'll be bringing a 5ft tripod, figured I won't need the bottom section.

I added a Third Hand Archery Bow holder to the platform so that helps, but I wish I could DIY a foot rest on this thing.

I would think the ideal setup would be to have brush in front of me to shoot over with something covering my silhouette behind me, but finding "perfect" setups is kinda rare.

Thanks!

I like to place mine into the heart of a brushy tree (cedars are awesome for that). Yes my go to camo is a leafy suit to match the foliage color of the time of year that I am hunting. I only use a coyote of shooting lanes as well. Ambushing is key for me.
    Last edited by Target-panic; 12-05-2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

As long as you’re tucked into a tree with leafy suit, I’ve been able to leave my complete front open. I usually pack super light since I’m only 100-200 yard from the truck. Keep my bow in my lap .

I’ve had deer come up and sniff my boot. Crazy. I honestly have almost as much fun drawing on deer and seeing what I can get away with and just settling the pin on them and pretending to shoot. Really helps confidence for the time when I do decide to let one fly.

Comment

I hunted out of tripods a lot. Back cover is needed more than front but it doesn’t hurt to have your front covered below your waist. I used surplus militry camo netting in some sets on my back side to break up my outline. It works pretty well.

Comment

Shoot us a picture of your tripod. Maybe we can figure something out for a footrest

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
            Shoot us a picture of your tripod. Maybe we can figure something out for a footrest

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

I have set them up next to trees that are dense with a lot of leaves to keep me from being silhouetted. You need to have brush or trees that are at least a couple feet taller than your head behind you. That’s how I used to use a tripod, got bursted a couple times by deer that just wondered through the brush, not on a trail, or not on a trail I knew was there.

I started putting my tripods in the middle of dense bushy brush. Such as huisache trees, cedars, yapouns, and other bushy brush, that keep their leaves year round, or at least while I am hunting.

Not usually very easy to put a tripod in the middle of a bush, but I search and find the right one, where I want to set up.

Then depending on what gear and which tripod, if I take stuff up in the tripod with me. It I have a tripod that I can put a bag or Bach pack on it, I may do so. Often I am hunting from one of my home made, tripods I built to carry in and set up where ever. I have carried some of my tripods a mile in, off of a road, to set them up. Those tripod are usually very basic, likely only have one hook to hang a bow or rifle from. Some of the others, have had large platforms, that I can set all types of stuff on.

Your primary consern, is not being seen. The better you are hidden the better. I have been busted multiple times, by moving around, when I was sure there were no deer in the area, then turns out there was a deer in the area, standing where I really hoped no deer would ever come in, because I was very visible from that direction.

When you have not got to hunt a particular spot a lot, so you don’t know the critter activity very well in that area. You don’t want to leave your rear hanging out in the open, thinking they are only going to come in from your front side.

Comment

Back cover to me is the most important. I've had deer within 10 yds from on this setup from my lease. Tripod is 7 foot to the seat. Easy to move around too.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

You mentioned shooting over the brush. I have mainly concealed mine where I shoot through the brush. If you shoot over the brush then your movement “may” be picked up easier. I have holes cut out if I am lower to the ground. If I am higher.....like in my loc-on.....well, I have clear shooting lanes but brush on both sides and behind me. Sometimes it just depends on where you hunt. You can have a tripod out in the open and shoot animals.

Comment

Fully camo’ed is the way to go. Plus, your camo will match when you take pics with the animals you arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                        Back cover to me is the most important. I've had deer within 10 yds from on this setup from my lease. Tripod is 7 foot to the seat. Easy to move around too.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk
                        I'd like to see a pic of that setup in the folded position. I'm trying to imagine how the foot/support ring moves out of the way when folding it up to move.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post

Probably would’ve helped if I had pics of the other side.

Platform is held on with bolts and wing nuts.

Comment

Bury it and trim your way out. Trim a little at a time. Leave tons of cover.
                            Edit. See its for a draw hunt and you can't trim lanes.
                            Last edited by jt400; 12-06-2022, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
                              Bury it and trim your way out. Trim a little at a time. Leave tons of cover.
                              Edit. See its for a draw hunt and you can't trim lanes.
                              This what I do, stand it up in the thickest , tallest stuff you can find, then trim your way up the ladder. Sit in the chair and trim some more, leave as much cover as you can tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X