Barbecue question/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbecue question/help

Gonna cook for about 40 people and will do brisket, chicken and sausage. My question is how much of each should I cook? If I do a 18lb brisket is that too much, or go smaller with several chickens , how much sausage?
    Let me know
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd assume 8 to 10 oz a person for total protein. If there's kids then less.

Comment

18lb brisket yields about 50% after trimmed and smoked. 9lbs...... 3 servings per lb so 27ish servings depending on the eaters. More than likely everybody will grab some brisket.

With chicken and sausage you might could squeeze 4 servings per lb, but never under estimate a Texans love for brisket. Always better to have too much than too little.
      Last edited by Smart; 12-05-2022, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I usually shoot for around 1lb of raw meat per person.

Comment

2 x 18lb. briskets
          5-7 x chickens (figure 8 pieces per bird, 10 if you count the wings as a piece)
          10-12lb. x sausage

This is what I would do. Plan on 8-12oz of meat per person. If there are a lot of sides, then you can lean closer to the 8oz. This is probably more than you will need, but the last thing I ever want to do is run out of food when cooking for a group.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
            2 x 18lb. briskets
            10-12lb. x sausage

This is what I would do. Plan on 8-12oz of meat per person. If there are a lot of sides, then you can lean closer to the 8oz. This is probably more than you will need, but the last thing I ever want to do is run out of food when cooking for a group.
            Second this recommendation.

Comment

40 people. And I prefer briskets around 12# for cooking reasons. I’d do 3 and that would give me about 17-18# of brisket. About 6-8 chickens and 10-15# of sausage. When cooking for this number of folks you don’t want to have to try and stretch the meats. When your the cook it is embarrassing to me. I’d rather take some home or give some to-go boxes than run dry

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                40 people. And I prefer briskets around 12# for cooking reasons. I’d do 3 and that would give me about 17-18# of brisket. About 6-8 chickens and 10-15# of sausage. When cooking for this number of folks you don’t want to have to try and stretch the meats. When your the cook it is embarrassing to me. I’d rather take some home or give some to-go boxes than run dry
                This all day long. What are the sides?

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                  2 x 18lb. briskets
                  10-12lb. x sausage

I'm leaning this way, too, for two reasons: 1) It is NEVER good to run out of food when entertaining guests, and 2) the last thing you'll feel like doing the day after your shindig is cook. These quantities practically ensure leftovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    This all day long. What are the sides?

Not sure, it’s for my daughters high school dance team and the parents. I think they all signed up to bring sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

here's a list of the sides

Mac and cheese
                      Baked beans
                      Green beans
                      Cream corn
                      Potato salad
                      Bread
                      Creamy jalapeno dip/chips
                      Smoked weenies
                      Pasta salad

Comment

bump

Comment

People will always put more food on the plate if its self-serve opposed to having someone serve each protein.

Comment

Junior, My dad always figured 1/3 pound of meat per person when he used to cook for big weddings. There was usually some leftovers.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              I would rather cook smaller briskets then huge ones. I like the 10-12 lb range. they seem to cook more evenly and turn out better for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X