Need plasma cutter advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy a plasma cutter. It’s not for me and I know nothing about plasma cutters other than they are bad *** and generally expensive.

So those of you in the know, I won’t have the answers to your technical “what are you looking for” questions, mostly. I do know 3/8” max cut is fine and 110/220 is okay as well.

It’s purpose will be hobby welding. Farm and ranch type stuff.

During my research the Lotos keeps popping up and it’s crazy cheap. Now, while I’m not looking to spend 2 grand, I’m not wanting to get something that has a 50/50 chance of doing what you want it to do 50% of the time.

Are there any good recommendations in the 1k range? Brands like amico, primeweld, forney?

Thanks for the input.

50 percent of the time it works every time.

Serious question, does it need to have the built-in air compressor or are you going to use standalone air? I have used a Miller 625 extreme it’s a built-in air compressor and it’s done everything I needed it to do. I borrowed it, however, and would probably buy the Hobart Air Force if I were buying one. I think it’s the 12ci.
    Last edited by Rubberdown; 12-02-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I'm only experienced with HyperTherm. But, we've got a big commercial operation we are using it on. Not up to speed on the smaller stuff.

I would caution you that the cheap stuff often leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment

Eastwood Plazma cutter for the price

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
          50 percent of the time it works every time.

Serious question, does it need to have the built-in air compressor or are you going to use standalone air? I have used a Miller 625 extreme it’s a built-in air compressor and it’s done everything I needed it to do. I borrowed it, however, and would probably buy the Hobart Air Force if I were buying one. I think it’s the 12ci.

Air can be built in or I have access to air. Built in would be nice for working remote from the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
            I would caution you that the cheap stuff often leaves a lot to be desired.
            ^^What he said. I’ve used a few of the cheaper brands and some of them are pretty terrible. IMO Hypertherm is the best, with Miller being a close second. Another thing you have to think about is consumable availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You need a clean air supply if you don’t have a built in unit. I’m sure other companies have improved since I researched/purchased a Hypertherm. I remember the main downfall of other brands was the high rate of going through consumables. I found a used Hypertherm for under $1,000. I would go this same route if I had to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                ^^What he said. I’ve used a few of the cheaper brands and some of them are pretty terrible. IMO Hypertherm is the best, with Miller being a close second. Another thing you have to think about is consumable availability.

While I don’t disagree about cheaper stuff I can’t spring the 2k+ for the primo cutters.

What are the consumables?

Comment

I’ve had a Hypertherm Powermax 30 for about 10 years now, and snagged a Miller 625 in a trade a few years back. Both have been great machines for a hobbyist, but I prefer the Hypertherm. Ended up selling the Miller since I didn’t need two with similar abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                    While I don’t disagree about cheaper stuff I can’t spring the 2k+ for the primo cutters.

Don’t be afraid to look for a used machine in good condition.

Consumables are the nozzles, electrodes, shields, etc. that you have to change out in the torch.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post

Look used. I’ve bought and traded more welders and a few plasmas over the years than I care to count. I bought my Hypertherm new. I regret that. Every other machine was a dang good deal used. I’ve been tempted to snag a Powermax 45 a time or two on a deal.

Comment

Hypertherm 30 has been great. I considered the model with the built in compressor, but got the regular 30. I use the compressor I bought to run the Hypertherm a lot more than I use the plasma so that is what I would recommend. The 30 runs on either 110 or 220, and I have cut 1/2” cleanly with it on 220 and max power.

Comment

Hypertherm 30. Awesome little machine. Ive used the cheap stuff and Rubberdown is corrected: worked about 50% of the time.

Comment

I'd suggest this as long as there is an air supply handy. Primeweld has OUTSTANDING reviews for operation and Customer service.

Comment

sorry, forgot the picture.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X