Lease Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Problems

Got on a new place this year 300 or so acres, super low pressure with a commercial/corporate farm operation bordering three sides that does not allow hunting, and the property on the 4th side is not hunted. So, pretty low pressure and ample food supply. Cost was relatively low. I've got 4 mature (4-5 year old) 130+ inch deer on camera preseason and sporadically throughout the season so far. I only hunt when the wind is in my favor etc to try to minimize disturbance and maximize my odds at getting a mature deer.

The lease is a family sort of deal, my BIL leases the land for hay, then subleases the hunting. I am on it with the BIL's father. Trouble starts with the guy setting up blinds/feeders/cameras during hunting hours (often when I'm in the blind). They drive in close to their spot and park about 600 yards from my spot, hunt not matter what wind, all around sloppy tactics IMO. But, it get better: the original deal was that the father and his daughter could hunt and that was it, but his wife has shot a young 2-3 year old buck, and daughter (20 years old) has shot a second 2-3 year old buck. I'm all for people being out hunting, but these folks aren't new deer hunters. Common courtesy would be to avoid activity during times of peak activity especially when someone else is hunting. That and stick to the agreement. My goal is to shoot mature deer and try to improve the quality of the deer on the place since the area is virtually unhunted. My concern is that if BIL's dad takes a third young deer off the place, then that's 3 deer that don't make it to their prime in the years to come. To me, this coupled with sloppy tactics over the coming years will eventually degrade the potential of the property. I've approached the BIL about it and he agrees that these things shouldn't be happening but it put him in a bad spot to say something to his dad. I'm thinking I need to wash my hands of the place after this year.

My bother and I have talked over and over on plans for next year. Lease prices near us are over $1,500 easily for papermill land, a good place with oak bottoms with go for over $2k and approach $3k. With the rising price of leases over the past few years we've thought about going public but that comes with issues as well.

What are your thoughts? Are middle class folks being priced out of leases? Would you just deal with the poor management and sloppy tactics and hope for the best? What is a realistic expectation for a lease as far as rules/management and what would you pay for your expectations?
    Last edited by TexEnv; 11-28-2022, 03:36 PM.

If it's just you and the FIL hunting the place, I would have a polite ftf talk with the guy and see where it goes. Good places are hard to find. It's worth trying to work it out.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You have a small place with competing goals. Nothing but headaches and heartburn unless you can convince the other group to change their ways.

I'd say adios.

Comment

Educate them if you can. Shoot a good mature buck and show them what they could have if they just laid off the babies.

Comment

I had similar issues with a lease I was on in Gonzales County. Had a bunch of older guys on it that drive loud 4 wheelers to the stand around 7:30am and had 1 guy that kept shooting young deer that had real potential. I got off that lease and searched for a lease all over Texas that was decently priced and couldn't find anything. I am now paying less money and killing bigger deer in the northern states. Hunting in Texas has gotten ridiculous, anyone that wants to pay 10k to kill a deer is out of their minds but people pay it and that is the issue.

Comment

I would put a snake in his boot.

Comment

That’s exactly why i have to have the lease! I don’t put up with crap like that because I was in that situation a long time ago. As much as I love to hunt it is definitely not worth it to put up with this kind of BS. You and your BIL are the ones that need to get this squared away! He is the responsible party!

Comment

If its cheap enough I would keep the place, especially if you are seeing mature deer. Try and hunt when they aren't there. Will probably be very difficult to replace that place in todays market. I think if money wasn't an object most people would rather hunt a lease in Texas for deer than public land in Texas if given the choice. I would keep the place while actively seeking a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                  I would put a snake in his boot.
                  Do you drink a lot?

Comment

Being on a lease with zero family members is worth every penny. Also, being on a lease with adults who can talk to each other about goals and expectations is crucial.

I suggest you talk to the partied involved, and not the internet. Ultimately the opinions here will matter ZERO in the real life application.

Comment

Have a conversation with them. If it doesn't work out. Fill your tags and move on.

Comment

Don’t get in a pissing contest with your bil, you will loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Coby_Buss View Post
                          I had similar issues with a lease I was on in Gonzales County. Had a bunch of older guys on it that drive loud 4 wheelers to the stand around 7:30am and had 1 guy that kept shooting young deer that had real potential. I got off that lease and searched for a lease all over Texas that was decently priced and couldn't find anything. I am now paying less money and killing bigger deer in the northern states. Hunting in Texas has gotten ridiculous, anyone that wants to pay 10k to kill a deer is out of their minds but people pay it and that is the issue.
                          My bother and I have gone out of state as well. I assume you're on public going out of state? If you've found private land leases up north would send me a PM?

Comment

Have a talk, that's all you can do. your screwed unless the BIL hates his farther.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                              Do you drink a lot?
                              He has a history of posting stupid comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X