Big hog with good cutters last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big hog with good cutters last night

Occasionally I get the opportunity to shoot hogs when I'm not actually hunting them. When I have to check on my cows after dark I usually take my 30-30 with me, just in case.

While checking the cows last night, I heard some very loud squeals and snorts several hundred yards away so I jogged in the direction of the trespassers.

I came to my stock tank and listened again. They were behind the tank and the wind was well within my favor. I crossed the hot wire and heard them under a thick cedar tree. I had to work my way around it and by the time I did, they had moved a little further south away from me. I turned on my rifle's green flashlight and put it to my shoulder. The sounder was within 40 yards and I knew I would see them around any tree or brush.

As I worked around, I came to a lane and heard them coming out of the brush immediately to my left and headed to my right. Within seconds a big hog walked calmly through my light and rifle sights. He was less than 20 yards, maybe 15 yards. All I had to do was pull the trigger, so I did.

He collapsed like a sack of potatoes. I fully expected to be overrun by the sounder but only 1 other pig ran by and he went under the fence into the night. They were the only 2 pigs.

Closer inspection of my boar indicated he is likely one of the larger ones I've shot. At first I was thinking he was 220+ but in contemplation, I'm going to say closer to 185. He does have absolutely the biggest cutters I've ever seen on a pig in this area.

I absolutely love shooting them at night with my 30-30. It is a light gun, easy to carry, and the green flashlight is generally all I need when the wind is in my favor.

I texted Pistol and sent pics and after a bit started to collect my rifle, which was not reloaded and laying off to my side. I heard a noise and thinking it was an armadillo I looked up. The smaller boar hog had returned and was watching me! I picked up my rifle, but the boar left the area post haste.

That’s a good one Tracey. Good job.

Comment

Good Job. What light is that?

Comment

Big and sharp ! You made him into a good hog !

Comment

Sounds intense. good shooting!

Comment

And with a good ole fashion lever action
            Heck yeah that’s a goodun

Comment

Dude does have some nice cutters. Nice work on taking another one out......I HATE pigs..

Comment

Nice one, great cutters

Comment

That’s a big ole stink nasty!!!

Congrats!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                    Good Job. What light is that?
                    I knew someone would ask and I should have looked it up. It is similar to this one:

Tactical Flashlight

This looks cool. Link

The green light seems to shine further, but I noticed when it hits small brush, the brush disappears - you cant see it. And when I shined that light on the smaller boar as he ran past the dying big one I lost him behind a small bush. Unnerving to me.

Also, the green light tends to spook deer, which is why I took it off my bow and put it on my 30-30. I put a red one on my bow. Both started out with the pressure switches but they both broke so now I just manually turn it on before I draw my bow or put my gun to my shoulder.
                    Last edited by Dusty Britches; 11-10-2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

My favorite kind of hig right there . Keep doing God's work.

Comment

Ugly sucker! Nice job!

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Ole nasty pig! Great job
                            Dyeatityet?

Comment

Trusty Ol' 30-30!

Comment

Working...
                              X