Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using portable electric fencing for chickens/pigs/turkeys/etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using portable electric fencing for chickens/pigs/turkeys/etc?

If so, please share your experience. Needing info on specific equipment/brands/pen sizes for various animals. I need to be able to rotate some portable fencing around the property. I've watched a lot of youtube but like to hear from some TBH'ers about your issues and solutions. Thanks.

I'm assuming some of those videos are of Joel Salatin? I live in a subdivision, so I can't help with the first-hand experience, but when I get a place with some land, I'll be rewatching his videos. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jmw View Post
      I'm assuming some of those videos are of Joel Salatin? I live in a subdivision, so I can't help with the first-hand experience, but when I get a place with some land, I'll be rewatching his videos. Good luck!
      I'm not sure. I'll check him out.

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

I'm curious about this, too. I saw a guy who had a net fence from Gallagher that was designed for poultry. He said it worked great to keep predators out.

Comment

I was going to tell you to get one of those underground fences and put one of those collars on all of your animals but decided not say that.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
            I was going to tell you to get one of those underground fences and put one of those collars on all of your animals but decided not say that.
            Good call

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

Neighbor has a white electric chicken fence. Pretty large area 20x50? 25 chickens. Constantly see half the birds wandering around everywhere. Not sure on the brand but chickens get out of a lot of things even with clipped wings.

Comment

My godfather ran hot wire across the top of his shoat pens when he was raising hogs. And another on the inside about 10" off the ground. Pens were mostly 2x12s. Sometimes had over 70 or more shoats in some. The larger hogs got high fenced with a hot wire on the bottom. He would always give all his hogs plenty of room/large pens. The breeder sows got thier own individual dog house pens. They weren't very big pens so they couldn't get a running start at the 2x12s when I was terrorizing their piglets (that could slip under the fencing). They were 800-1100 lbs sows. It was a very errie feeling watching the sows up against the fence looking at me with one eye through the gaps between the 2x12s.

I was at a "hog ranch" with a Canadian that wanted to hog hunt several years ago. That ranch had hog wire on the perimeter, with a buried footing. With a hot wire 6" off the ground.

Comment

Used one on goats

Key is good ground on any electric fence. Goats require more "juice" because of their hooves I was told

I have seen the chicken fences but no experience

Comment

Starter kit contains all the essentials to fence a small flock of birds. Contain and protect chickens in the backyard or on the pasture. 48" tall.

This is what we have in the green color, less noticeable than the white. In my experience it works great! You'll still have to clip wings occasionally if you discover you have any that try flying. We move our coop about once a month and the net fencing is nice.

Comment

The problem I'm seeing with electric fences right now is there are not enough ground rods. I have 4 of them, 10' apart but with the drought it was still not working properly. I read up on it and switched to 2 strands for the full length. The bottom strand is tied directly to the metal fence rods, TPosts or even barbed wire and run to the battery / charger. The top strand is the hot strand. The animals have to touch both strands to get lit. I was have constant problems with calves and cows just walking through it like it was kite string. Once I switched it, the problems stopped instantly.

The poultry netting will have to be run the same way - with a way for the birds to touch the ground and net at the same time. I'm sure if I was looking at it, I could find a way so that makes me think you could, too.

Comment

When we get normal rainfall, standard ground rods should work fine. I plan to keep my current set up full time, though.

Comment

Get something that has 1 Joule. If close to your house ive had good luck with the little AC powered Red Snapr.

If you are going battery and solar ive quit wasting my money on cheap chargers and only buy the Gallagher S40 or S100. Ive got several of them now. And you can get away with a mediocre ground with them as hot as they are.

As far as wire i think the Gallagher netting would be your best option.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                            Neighbor has a white electric chicken fence. Pretty large area 20x50? 25 chickens. Constantly see half the birds wandering around everywhere. Not sure on the brand but chickens get out of a lot of things even with clipped wings.
                            A little trick my grandma taught me, Don't clip both wings. Only clip one and then the chicken can't fly straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                              A little trick my grandma taught me, Don't clip both wings. Only clip one and then the chicken can't fly straight.
                              I like this idea. But it really made me laugh , picturing a chicken flying in circles.

Comment

Working...
                              X