Deer lease set up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer lease set up question

This is my deer lease in nw Oklahoma! I marked boundary in red, stands/feeder pens in blue yellow line is ditches, and the green line is access route! South and west boundary are county roads with not much traffic! Lease does have about 20 head of cattle! This is my first year hunting this type of terrain and Im struggling with the set up! It’s little over 300 acres with 2 hunters strictly Bow hunting We have the same deer come out almost every night and cameras have been out for 2 months! We are not getting any day time pics! With it being so far away next trip will hopefully be the rut in November! Right now pop up blinds are being used but debating on setting up 5 ft elevated blind on the next trip in order to be above the crp grass and see between the ditches better! Figured I’d see if anybody else had some thoughts on changes! Also where y’all think the best place to do food plot and/or kill plots next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by txbowhunter08; 10-12-2022, 04:55 PM.

Set up in the edge of the brush line and draws on game trails in a tree stand.

Comment

Not getting any daylight pictures at all ?

Comment

You’re awfully close to fence lines on both sets.

I like ladder stands for getting off the ground at new set ups. They’re easy to move and easy to hide

Comment

Might get the feeders off the fence line first.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
            Set up in the edge of the brush line and draws on game trails in a tree stand.
            There is literally no trees to put a tree stand! This area caught fire couple years ago! Due to time restraint I wasn’t able to scout ever part of the property but main trails I found are where the feeders are!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
              Not getting any daylight pictures at all ?
              None at all I had one picture in velvet before the feeder pens were put up 2 months ago! They come out like clock work around 8 in the evening and go back and forth to each feeder all night and gone by 6 am in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                Might get the feeders off the fence line first.
                Both spots had partial feeder pens in these spots so i assumed that’s where the previous guy put there feeders and since we picked up lease 2 months ago figure that would have been best route to keep um in the same area until we figured how the deer moved in the area

Comment

This map shows little more detail on the lay out

Comment

If you will be hunting the rut, I'd try and get as high as possible (any power lines on the property?) and look over as much country as possible- sit all day.
                    Bucks will be travelling through 300 acres checking for does - I would rely on my feeders just to hold a couple of doe groups and don't hunt them too close.
                    Figure out how the bucks traverse through the property and put a stand on the downwind side. Might need a full season to figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                      If you will be hunting the rut, I'd try and get as high as possible (any power lines on the property?) and look over as much country as possible- sit all day.
                      Bucks will be travelling through 300 acres checking for does - I would rely on my feeders just to hold a couple of doe groups and don't hunt them too close.
                      Figure out how the bucks traverse through the property and put a stand on the downwind side. Might need a full season to figure it out.
                      The rut should be interesting! We have only had 3 different does on camera, but about 8 different bucks come thru and 4 of those regularly every night

Comment

Comment

I’d set up a tall tripod on the south u bend of the north creek in the middle of the property. I bet there’s some deer crossing through the creek fork west of that pond. Anywhere along the creek would be nice, maybe a pop up blind or brush blind facing into that creek bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                            I’d set up a tall tripod on the south u bend of the north creek in the middle of the property. I bet there’s some deer crossing through the creek fork west of that pond. Anywhere along the creek would be nice, maybe a pop up blind or brush blind facing into that creek bottom.

Pretty much what I’ve decided is get to a high point and just glass for a day or 2 and pin point where there coming out from

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter08 View Post
                              Pretty much what I’ve decided is get to a high point and just glass for a day or 2 and pin point where there coming out from

Not a bad idea. This late in the game walking through those woods might scare off any deer in the area. Let us know how glassing goes

Comment

Working...
                              X