2010 Polaris Sportsman 800 Big Boss 6x6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Polaris Sportsman 800 Big Boss 6x6

Been looking for one of these for a while. Finally scored one from New York from a dealership that came in on trade.

Was sent the title and the original (and only) owner’s contact info was there so gave him a call. He is 80 years old and said that the machine never left his 140’acre homestead. Said he used it to haul firewood, plow snow, and garden with.
    When I asked him why he traded it in, he said that when he turned 80 he decided to buy one more 6x6 new before his time was up. Said that the one I got was his second.

Machine was well kept and never abused so I figure it’s a good unit to do a restoration on. Not sure how far I’m gonna take this, but I usually cannonball off the high dive so here we go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are cool machines! In for the build.

Comment

Sounds like a great find to me! Looking forward to the pictures. Does the snow plow attachment come with it? : )

Comment

Pic of her loaded up in NY. Took 5 days for her to get to Bulverde, TX but she arrived in one piece.

Comment

She cranks right up, but decided to run a can of SeaFoam through her before adding non-ethanol fuel and marine Stabil.

Got her in the garage last night.

Comment

Drive belt needed replacing so that is first project. Got some of the body panels off and the old belt removed.

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
              Sounds like a great find to me! Looking forward to the pictures. Does the snow plow attachment come with it? : )
              It did, but for shipping I decided to have the dealer take it off. I have no use for it, and from what I read, the plows can cause a lot of stress to the frame which I would probably push to the limits. I just let the dealer keep it and flip it if he could.

Comment

That is awesome. Looks brand new from the pictures.

Comment

Areas of attention/focus so far:

1.) One of the bed anchor/release tabs on the frame is broke and I've found one stress crack on the front of the frame, likely caused from the plow. Already have a plan in the works to fix and strengthen these areas, so will have a day in the welding shop in the next few weeks sometime.

2.) RUST! I can't stand rust in any shape or form. The frame is in great shape but will address the few places that rust has developed and properly prep and re-paint them.

3.) Going to replace a lot of the rusty bolts/screws and tabs for the body with new.

4.) Replace the polymer winch rope with a cable.

5.) Tires are newer, but 4 ply. Going to upgrade and add 2" spacers when the time comes.

6.) Strengthen and fab a custom front grill guard from using the current one as the bones to build from.

7.) Replace some hardware on the bed for latch, tailgate cables, and tie-downs.

We shall see past that.....
                  Last edited by TXBRASS; 10-12-2022, 08:44 AM.

Comment

What an awesome deal! I've never seen one of those before. I was thinking it was a 6X6 UTV.

Good call on the plow and I agree, I'd try and use that sucker as a bull dozer and destroy the bike in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
                      I'd try and use that sucker as a bull dozer and destroy the bike in no time.

EXACTLY my thoughts! I can't be trusted with anything I can convince myself has DOZER capabilities....

Comment

My father-in-law had one of those back in the late 80s when they first came out. It had a 6' or so tripod that could mount to the bed, so you'd be about 10' off the ground in it. I hunted out of it a good bit. Just drive it up into a pile of cedars and climb up, shoot a deer, drive up to it and load it in the back..... Pretty slick.

Comment

Curious why you want to replace synthetic rope with wire?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

I was wondering the same thing. Most folks do the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Did some research on this today and now agree with keeping the rope.
                              The tech at Warn said I have the wrong fairlead for the rope so will probably change that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X