Another Stand-n-Fill build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Stand-n-Fill build

So I had 3 projects this year to get going and new feeders were one of them. Even though my old feeder setups were doing ok and had worked well (enough) over the last 12 years, I'm done with hanging feeders out of trees!

This is the year of stand & fills!

The original plan was to build four of them; two for me and two for my buddy James. We ended up with three (ran out of cheap angle iron) - two for me and one for James!

Most of the materials were picked up pretty cheaply, and we're into all three feeders for right at $100/each. We have $70 into four barrels, $50 in old bed frames (angle iron used for the stands), $90 for funnels (4) for inside the barrels, and $100 for the Horse Panel fencing from TSC, plus some misc. items.

We enlisted the help of James' resident welder (his 2nd son) and product of Boerne Champion HS Welding program and got started building!

The three stands were built a couple weeks ago, and this past weekend I finished putting the wire panels on. My "new to me" rehabbed welder (previous DIY thread) worked great with this tedious work.

The small screens you see on top of the stands is rain gutter screens from Home Depot (we have a stock pile of those, but they run less than $4 each, and one piece is enough for each stand). These were used to help fill the corner gaps surrounding the bottom of the barrels.

The hinges for the access panels were made from 1/2" pipe nipples that were cut in half and then squeezed tight. The latches for holding these panels closed were made from 1/16"x1/2" aluminum flat bar (less than $4 for a 30" piece - I have about 20" left!). I found some nut clips and screws to hold it all closed.

I'm also upgrading my battery systems for these feeders based on a setup I've built for my cameras, which I've been running for the last 6 months. It's worked out well and everything will fit inside the timer boxes on the bottom of the barrels, including both batteries. Only the solar panels will be mounted outside of the cage.

Final feeder setup will be this coming weekend. So we'll see how these things run this season, crossing my fingers! They aren't the prettiest, but they're functional. And they're a heck of a lot cheaper than new ones!

very cool project. those look great!

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
        very cool project. those look great!
        Originally posted by fish4food View Post
        Nicely done!
        Thanks!
        I just wish we had finished them sooner, rather than waiting until (almost) the last minute coming into this season!

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Very well thought out and looks great!!

Comment

Pretty slick right there

Comment

Power management system for the feeders. This is based on the same setup I'm running for my cameras. Dual 6V-4Ah batteries (in parallel), solar controller, diode, 6V solar panel.

This setup for my cameras has been running since February '22, has taken over 12k pictures of my backyard in that time, and has maintained 6.45-6.53 volts the entire time, including when placed directly under our big Red Oak tree (less than 3 hrs of direct sunlight per day).

The only thing left to connect is the solar panel...

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Thank you all for comments! It's nice when a plan finally comes together.

Feeders are in place and working!

Solar panels were bolted in place, and then tied to the cage. Everything powered up just fine and we're throwing corn!

I used Texas Hunter Products barrel funnels in all 3 feeders because their funnel appeared shallower than anything else I could find.
                      And it seems to have paid off. We filled each feeder with exactly 350 lbs of corn!

I don't think I could have put more than 5 more lbs in them. Although, if I had thought about pounding down the bottom of the barrels to flare it out some, I might have been able to get almost half a bag more. Maybe next time...

In the first pic, you can see one of the new camera setups. A DIY thread for those are coming soon.

Comment

PM Ed you

Big pig

Comment

What kind of panel did you use to make the cage at the bottom?

I was thinking a stand and fill feeder might be a cool thing to build up here at school, maybe I could get rid of them easier than a deer blind!

Comment

I used the same sheet of Horse Fence Panel used for the sides. The openings are 2"x4"

horse fence panel 5ft x 16ft

The fence panel wasn't cheap at $99/sht, but it's just enough for four of these setups (should we decide to start/finish the 4th one).

Edit: One great thing about these stands is they travel very easily. Take the barrels off, and the stands just stack on top of each other!

Comment

That's a freakin' awesome build! I glanced at some that Walmart had the other day and they were over $200 and I bet wouldn't hold a full 50lb bag of corn. Yours are much more desirable than what they had for sure!!

Comment

Working...
                              X