DIY: Cell activated Hog trap gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Cell activated Hog trap gate

Attempting to help reduce some pig problems on the lease I know I cannot do it with just a bow or a rifle. After reading some threads on here and doing some other research, I decided to give this DIY project a try. * NOTE: I AM NOT A WELDER!! You may see some horrific looking welds in these pictures so please overlook them. This is my first ever attempt at welding. In saying that, I truly enjoy the heck out of welding now! All of the metal I used except to C-Channel was salvaged. Angle was from old bed rails, the drop gate was an old wrought iron fence. I'll just be using a basic pull pin attached to the 60# door popper solenoid to release the gate. The GSM module is new but it's supposed to be phased out this year. Hopefully I can get a few months of use before that happens. I plan on having a 5 to 6 panel corral pen. So far, I am under $200 in the gate build. I hope to have this out in the field in the next few weeks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Duckhead78; 02-04-2021, 07:24 AM.

Good to see there's another "muddobber" on here. If I was to start a welding bizness, it would be called "Ugly ***** Welding Company".

Comment

Nice job. Do you have a link to the pull pin motor?

Comment

Clever

Comment

Looking good so far! Can you post the wiring diagram and more pictures when you can? How big is your pen going to be? Well done

Comment

These work great. We have built 5 with 8ft wide gates. We use the Kong Quick Release from Amazon. The popper pulls those pretty easy to drop gate.

Link to popper and quick release from amazon

Last edited by Boone11; 02-04-2021, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
              Looking good so far! Can you post the wiring diagram and more pictures when you can? How big is your pen going to be? Well done
              I'll take some pictures of the diagram that came with it this afternoon and post it. I think six cattle panels should be around 30' in diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone11 View Post
                These work great. We have built 5 with 8ft wide gates. We use the Kong Quick Release from Amazon. The popper pulls those pretty easy to drop gate.
                I'll look at those releases today. I have not heard of those. Thank you!

Comment

A complete parts list and wiring diagram would be great.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                    A complete parts list and wiring diagram would be great.

Thanks for sharing.
                    The links for the GSM controller and door popper solenoid are in post #5. The 30 amp relay & harness was a purchase from Ebay also but they can be purchased at any auto parts store. Walmart may even have them. I paid $20 for the controller, $27.59 for the Door popper solenoid and $7.42 for the 30 amp relay and harness. I already had the ammo can but they're around $20 or less online and at Harbor Freight. I paid $31 for a 20' stick of 2"x1"x3/8" C-Channel. All of
                    1 1/2" angle, wrought iron gate & the cattle panel was scrap. I ordered a Miady 12v 8Ah lithium battery from Amazon for $30. The Solenoid comes with a wiring diagram but I can post one this afternoon.

*Note*, You have to purchase a prepaid cell plan and activate it with the phone. These are cheap @ Walmart. You remove the sim card and install it into the controller. The controller has instructions to complete the setup. I should have that part going next week.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EylPDKI-K-g"]DIY Cellular Remote Controlled Hog Trap - YouTube[/ame]
                    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwRKcF6o5GM"]Remote Hog Trap- Home made - YouTube[/ame]
                    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp6WnQz9kyE"]Pig Trap Test - YouTube[/ame]
                    Last edited by Duckhead78; 02-04-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Would love to see a drawing or a pic everything hooked up. Been wanting to do one of these but I'm not very electrically inclined when it comes to wiring things up....

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
                        Would love to see a drawing or a pic everything hooked up. Been wanting to do one of these but I'm not very electrically inclined when it comes to wiring things up....
                        I'm not either. I had some help with the wiring myself. I'll post some pics tonight when I get a chance.

Comment

Wiring diagrams and battery.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Consider adding a momentary pulse relay instead of just on/off for your door actuator. Those actuators only need a short pulse of power to actuate and close the door. If you provide constant power they will burn up and if you forget and leave it on, it will drain your battery. There are lots of wiring diagrams out there for DIY momentary pulse relays. We had poor cell reception so it was always a guess if the trap actuator turned off after we sent the command. With a pulse relay it never gets more than about a second of 12v power.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X