No announcement yet.

Official 2022 Astros season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do y’all think Crane will go after Rondon?

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post

I think he will use the guys we have and if it shows that we need a stronger arm then try and get one at the trade deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
        I think he will use the guys we have and if it shows that we need a stronger arm then try and get one at the trade deadline.

Agree. They have 6 really good arms to get through the season. Only need 4 for the playoffs. They are the envy of the league in this department even without JV.

Comment

I don’t blame Crane for letting him go and I don’t blame JV for taking the money, but I’m laughing my *** off at some of the comments acting like he didn’t just win the Cy Young, win 18 games, post a sub 2.00 ERA. It ain’t like we lost a situational reliever. The Astros MIGHT be able to replace him, but I doubt whomever fills his role is as good a pitcher as the future HOFer.

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
            No. I would be very surprised. Rodon is asking for 6 years and $180 Million. JV’s Mets deal is better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              I don’t blame Crane for letting him go and I don’t blame JV for taking the money, but I’m laughing my *** off at some of the comments acting like he didn’t just win the Cy Young, win 18 games, post a sub 2.00 ERA. It ain’t like we lost a situational reliever. The Astros MIGHT be able to replace him, but I doubt whomever fills his role is as good a pitcher as the future HOFer.

He also got a free year of pay for rehabbing. Great pitcher. But, at his age is it worth rolling the dice for that amount of money?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

He had a great regular season, no doubt. But he underperformed in the playoffs. I think it's probably because he's 39 years old and got tired. Makes me wonder how many more pitches he has before his arm gives out. To me that makes it not worth trying to get him back (and given the pitching we already have). He's already made a lot of money, but I don't blame him for taking a contract like he got. I will be following him next year to see what he does. He will probably prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                  He had a great regular season, no doubt. But he underperformed in the playoffs. I think it's probably because he's 39 years old and got tired. Makes me wonder how many more pitches he has before his arm gives out. To me that makes it not worth trying to get him back (and given the pitching we already have). He's already made a lot of money, but I don't blame him for taking a contract like he got. I will be following him next year to see what he does. He will probably prove me wrong.
                  Did you pay attention to what he was doing down the stretch? Second half of the season, he left 5 or 6 games in a row giving up none or one hit (don't quote me on that, I'm too lazy too look it up right now) but point is, he's not worn out by any stretch of the imagination. Is he worth the contract he signed for the next two years? Maybe not. But he was dang sure earned what the Astros paid him this year, no matter how he performed in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    He also got a free year of pay for rehabbing. Great pitcher. But, at his age is it worth rolling the dice for that amount of money?

He got 2 free years. He blew out his elbow in game 1 of the shortened 2020 season. Then was healing through the 2021 season.

He may end up being like Nolan Ryan and pitch like a stud through his mid 40s but I doubt it. Things like that calf injury that hampered him in the second half are the type things that start happening as the years march on. I wish JV would have come back but I’m glad Crane passed on him at the price he got. I’d rather have two quality bats that potentially can play everyday than one arm that will potentially play a partial game 25-28 times a year.

Comment

with the state income tax and city tax I think he is like at 35M per year yet....

I think the Astros were at $30M

Comment

JV is great and was a big part of the puzzle......but he likely will be replaced in the rotation by Luis Garcia/Hunter Brown. They collectively could/should win 15 games so replacing those 18 wins is not worth the $$$. The bats they can buy for $43MM should account for several more wins instead of Jake Meyers in CF. I like Meyers and wish him lots of success but I don't think he should be our everyday CF until he can prove he can hit .250+ for 150 games.

Comment

Imagine that

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                            JV is great and was a big part of the puzzle......but he likely will be replaced in the rotation by Luis Garcia/Hunter Brown. They collectively could/should win 15 games so replacing those 18 wins is not worth the $$$. The bats they can buy for $43MM should account for several more wins instead of Jake Meyers in CF. I like Meyers and wish him lots of success but I don't think he should be our everyday CF until he can prove he can hit .250+ for 150 games.

You don’t replace 18 wins by a starter, with 2 mediocre starters, that’s not how baseball works.

I don’t believe I would pay JV what he asked for either, but to just shrug off what he was, is ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              You don’t replace 18 wins by a starter, with 2 mediocre starters, that’s not how baseball works.

I don’t believe I would pay JV what he asked for either, but to just shrug off what he was, is ignorant.

You can get the 18 wins or even 26 with lesser quality replacements!!

You just have to accept about 16 losses instead of JV’s 4.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                                You can get the 18 wins or even 26 with lesser quality replacements!!

You just have to accept about 16 losses instead of JV’s 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X