Replacing catalytic converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing catalytic converter

Anyone ever replaced theirs? I have a 2016 3.5l turbo EcoBoost that I'm certain I melted bank 1 cat. I see several options on rockauto. Any ones to avoid or recommend?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Find local muffler shop, save some money.

Comment

Try a can of Cataclean first.

Comment

Original equipment only. After market stuff does not last long...

Comment

Gotta hear how you’re certain you melted it and what you did!

Comment

Go back with OE converter. That vehicle has a 6 wire air fuel sensor that is very sensitive.
            A aftermarket cat will not store enough oxygen, and trigger the engine light.

Comment

OE only. But seriously, how did you melt a cat???

Comment

OE not cheap, probably $2,500 so get ready when they tell you the price.

Comment

I barely passed state inspection and got a year to buy everything for the Tundra. Every 90 days I would buy 1 piece of the system. After 12 months I went to my muffler guy with all new o/e stuff. It was pricey but will last a dang long time...

Comment

Do oem , after market is no bueno
                    I have melted 2 converter, 1 on a dodge Dakota when the stealership ran some sort of fuel injection cleaner and it was replaced by them
                    2 . Ford F-250 started blowing white smoke , just went to a muffler shop

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Gotta hear how you’re certain you melted it and what you did!
                      While driving down the interstate a coil gave up the ghost. I had to drive it a ways while misfiring before I could safely exit thus dumping raw fuel into my exhaust. I got a new coil in it but the very next day it started throwing P0420, P0430 cat inefficiency codes. I tried the cataclean and cleaning all maf sensors but I have a feeling the raw fuel either caused it to melt or become contaminated. I will have it diagnosed and monitor all 4 O2 sensors to verify but I'm afraid I'll hafta change that cat

Comment

Sounds like your gonna need both cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I took temp readings and it appears both cats are ok. The exhaust goin into the cats are cooler than the exhaust leaving.

Comment

Working...
                          X