Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Here, Pork There

Pork Everywhere.
    The summer drought hit a fawn crop pretty hard so we have elected to reduce the number of deer we will take however we have been hammering the pigs. Needless to say we have been eating a lot of wild pork. I am thinking of grinding some into chili and burger. Normally I would mix in venison and beef fat for pan and Italian sausage. Without venison can I just add beef tallow to my grind and how does this taste? What other options do y’all suggest other fried cutlets and roasts. Looking for some yummy variants with wild pig.
    Thanks
    Raleigh

Other than cooking burger or sausage. I believe anything involving simmering will separate the tallow from the pork. I have had deer burger mixed with beef brisket tallow and it was the most delicious deer burger I ever had. Haven’t really tried ground wild pork.

Comment

We get pork fat from the grocery store and mix it 70/30 for sausage. I've never mixed beef fat with it, or made burger.

Comment

I didn’t know you could buy pork fat. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
          I didn’t know you could buy pork fat. Thanks
          I usually call a couple days before I need it and ask the butchers to save the amount I think I'll need. Brookshire's, Brookshire brothers, and Super 1 are who we've used.

Comment

I use beef fat and wild hog for breakfast sausage all the time. Does just fine. I’ve never tried using wild hog for hamburgers, chili etc in many years. At the time I was doing it I was fairly poor and any protein taste good

Comment

Other than chopped onion and peppers, I don't add anything to my straight pure ground wild pork~! It's better than chopped sirloin!

Edit: Well, maybe a dash of salt and pepper too.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-04-2022, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Beef fat is outstanding.

Comment

The way for you to do it is add some beef fat to a small amount and try it. I do this to find what fat content and also what spices I use. I do this with sausage and hamburger. Just cook small burgers in a pan until you find what is best for you

Comment

Great advice Glen
                    Thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X