No announcement yet.

2022 -2023 Duck Season Thread!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished around 939 with our 4 man. Could’ve been done by 730 if we wanted a ring neck blasts .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those are some great straps. LOVE the Woodie strap! Congratulations guys.
      Just got back from working the flood control devices at the ranch. Lots of water! Trying to lower the water some.
      Lesto!!

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        Finished around 939 with our 4 man. Could’ve been done by 730 if we wanted a ring neck blasts .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Congrats!

Comment

Nice job fellers! Nice job!

Comment

Went from not having any water to having to much! 😀
            Attached Files
            Lesto!!

Comment

Get a fishing pole, Les!

Well, the cloud cover should keep the birds lower this morning.

Comment

2022 -2023 Duck Season Thread!!!!!!

We don't see many wood ducks in West Texas. It was a rare treat to get into a few this morning.

Last edited by Shane; 12-04-2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

4 piece this am. Shoulda been 5 but my hunting buddies let one out of a pair escape. 4 out of 5 that came in down ain't bad though!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

In regards to mojos. If I’m hunting traffic I’m running as many as possible. If I’m hunting an x spot I am not using any typically.

Comment

Glad to see some solids hunts yesterday!

Work is taking over this week but head to south Texas for some deer and duck hunting this weekend and pumped for a change of scenery! Camera will be in tow as much as a shotgun will be.

Comment

With my local lake being low, I'm back into duck hunting and whoa buddy talk about fun.... I'm gonna get another Lab even if the wife says I can't.....[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

DUKFVR, Pin Oak, Les and others that hunt private land....talk to me about how you manage pressure on your place. There was a good thread on THF about this so I thought I would bring it up on this thread as well.

Do you have rest ponds that don't get disturbed? If so how big of an area is it?

How many hunting locations do you have and how do you rotate areas?

How often do you hunt each location?

I'm just thinking about how much land is needed and how big a rest aree is needed to hold ducks consistently during the season.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Depends on number of ducks. We just have a small place & limited by what we can do ,because of farmer & rice rotation in Garwood. I believe in resting most of the week if possible. We mostly hunt public nowadays. Easier to stay on birds for us.Lots of work,but worth it to me. My place in young county has 2 good ponds on 250 ac. I hunt 1 and then the other. Then rest both for at least a couple of days. If birds are scarce, I rest for 4-5 days then. When my ponds are full & food has grown good, I have no problem keeping some on my place with rest. Buy the most land you can ,with the most habitat you can find. I would rather have a smaller place with good habitat over a big place with marginal habitat.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                              Depends on number of ducks. We just have a small place & limited by what we can do ,because of farmer & rice rotation in Garwood. I believe in resting most of the week if possible. We mostly hunt public nowadays. Easier to stay on birds for us.Lots of work,but worth it to me. My place in young county has 2 good ponds on 250 ac. I hunt 1 and then the other. Then rest both for at least a couple of days. If birds are scarce, I rest for 4-5 days then. When my ponds are full & food has grown good, I have no problem keeping some on my place with rest. Buy the most land you can ,with the most habitat you can find. I would rather have a smaller place with good habitat over a big place with marginal habitat.
                              Good stuff David.

I think being on a good flyway would help replenish birds too....major river, big lake, or marsh nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                                Good stuff David.

I think being on a good flyway would help replenish birds too....major river, big lake, or marsh nearby.
                                Major factor there! We normally have lots of birds all around on neighboring ponds at my place in young county. And none of them duck hunt. Sometimes the birds don't move much ,but rather have them next door too. They will move eventually. Better close than far!
                                Last edited by DUKFVR; 12-06-2022, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X