No announcement yet.

Texas Property Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So considering we are #32 / 50, I'd say we are doing well. And the best part - they do not punish the producers with an income tax.

I would like to see our taxes restructured to take the bulk of local support off of the landowners by the state reallocating more O&G funds to education.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      If you’re not protesting every year you should be. They dropped mine by $48,000 this year when I protested it.
      Thank you!

Im trying to figure when do the bonds get paid off where all this tax monies go to pay. I understand infrastructure improvements need funding. I understand those improvements and existing infrastructure will need continued funding of servicing and maintaining. Whereas at some point the divided lands leading to increased volume of tax roll should pay off the debts and tax burden decrease because it has been spread loaded across the land.

Otherwise Im gonna make a killing buying tax liens in the near future.

Good push MrRWB.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 11-11-2022, 10:43 AM. Reason: TaxLienBuyingSpake

Comment

I am in no way supporting a state income tax, but at least if you lose your job or end up earning less income in a given year, you pay less in taxes due to decreased income. If you live in a state with higher sales tax rates, and choose to alter your buying practices (i.e. buy fewer things, buy used items off of Craigslist, FB Maketplace, or garage sales, etc) you can reduce your annual tax liability. In Texas, as your home values continue to rise year after year, you have no way to control the ever increasing tax bill, even if you lose your job and cut your spending, your property tax requirements will continue to increase. I am not sure what the answer is, but I do think the current property tax system needs to be overhauled.

I heard an idea floated years ago, that for your homestead, you pay property taxes based upon the price you purchased your home . Same amount year after year unless the elected officials vote to increase property tax rates to generate additional tax revenue. This way a homeowner knows his annual property tax liability at the time of purchase and can budget accordingly. The current system allows for homeowners to potentially be taxed out of their homes due to ever increasing taxes. In this proposed system, when the homeowner chooses to sell the home there is a post sale property/home sales tax based upon the sales price/capital gains made by the seller of the home. Think of owning stocks that increase in value year after year. You are not taxed on the stock value increases annually, instead you are taxed one time on the realized gains when the stocks are sold. Similar premise with the above noted system.

I have relatives that live in Tennesse, and their house is worth approximately $350,000. They pay I believe about $1500 per year in property taxes ($900 county and $600 city). Their sales tax is 9.75%, and they have no state income tax. I know some people say their public education system is not as good as other states, but if you are retired and/or living on a fixed income, especially with no school aged children, a state like Tennessee might be an option. If I were to find a home in the same town in Tennessee that was valued at the same amount as my current home in Texas, I would pay about $6,000 less per year in property taxes, which equates to $500 per month. This is significant, especially if I were on a fixed income.
        Last edited by Bigfootwolff; 11-12-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
          I have the same value house that I did in Texas here in Oklahoma and make more money than I did in Texas. After paying both property tax and state income tax I am still coming out $6k ahead.
          I spent some time working in the Eufaula area a few years ago. I recall the the sales tax was very high, 10-11%. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
            In Texas RVs are considered personal property (as opposed to Real) so yes, they aren't taxed like homes are.
            No one claimed that renters whether renting a home/apartment or personally owned RV, pays property taxes directly.

The argument that I have always seen is that it is an unfair burden to land owners (whether improved or unimproved) because renters don’t pay taxes. The counter argument that the OP stated is that renters actually do pay their “fair share” of taxes by increased rent. As an example the $600 a month rent on an RV space. The state doesn’t tax the RV for sitting there but the property owner recoups the taxes through higher rent. So the property owner would charge $450 for an RV space but nacks it up to $600 to cover the taxes. If so the RV owner is paying $1,800 a year in property taxes passed through the rent.

Originally posted by RWB View Post
            I honestly dont think the problem is the tax amount we pay in total, the problem is how much is being driven by property tax. My post was just to highlight one way that the property tax system in Texas is antiquated and that it is burdening single family households unfairly.
            Absolutely. As you mentioned in the OP, do they pay taxes with higher rent.

The state legislature determines the budget every other year. They are going to get their money. The only question is how. We have a constitutional amendment banning income tax which most people cheered so the how do we pay the $250 billion in revenue to lower or eliminate property taxes? A 25% VAT on everything? A $1 a gallon increase in fuel taxes per gallon? I agree with you, the question is where is it going to come from?

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
            No state income tax has always been Texas claim to fame. They make it up in property tax. I think when you turn 65 your tax rate is frozen. But they get around that by continually raising the value of your property. Somebody has to pay for the invasion down south.
            It certainly has been but the difference will come from somewhere such as you mentioned, in property taxes.

If people don’t want property taxes (so they actually own property) and don’t want income taxes, what is the state going to tax

It seems like a substantial sales tax or VAT is a huge burden on lower income earners unless they get a substantial tax return at the end of the year.

The next legislative session starts in January. The state could eliminate property taxes. They will definitely make up the lose in other taxes however.

So what items are people willing to be taxed?

Comment

If I understand the OP thoughts, he believes the people own the RV park or live in it should pay more in property tax. In exchange your think you're going to pay less? Thats not how the govt. works. If they over tax you, you're not getting it back, they are going to find somewhere to spend it.

Comment

Texas sucks when it comes to property taxes. I wish Abbott would learn from how the South Dakota governor does it. We are far behind on this front and there is no reason for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  If I understand the OP thoughts, he believes the people own the RV park or live in it should pay more in property tax. In exchange your think you're going to pay less? Thats not how the govt. works. If they over tax you, you're not getting it back, they are going to find somewhere to spend it.
                  You didn't.

Comment

Whether the property is owner occupied or rented. The state taxes it and the tax cost is passed along.

In my opinion, the issue is not the property tax system, it is the out of control spending by the school districts.

Comment

Originally posted by 68rustbucket View Post
                      I spent some time working in the Eufaula area a few years ago. I recall the the sales tax was very high, 10-11%. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
                      Correct, 10% to your 8.25%. From a total cost of living perspective it is drastically lower than Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Slaunch View Post
                        Texas sucks when it comes to property taxes. I wish Abbott would learn from how the South Dakota governor does it. We are far behind on this front and there is no reason for it.
                        What has Abbott got to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Slaunch View Post

Umm…governors don’t set tax rates. Of any variety. In any state. The legislatures own that responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Crazy mind set. If I understand correctly we have a budget surplus but may not be able to use that surplus for property tax relief due to a cap on spending. How is giving money back spending?

Texas homeowners have some of the highest property tax bills in the nation, a byproduct of the state’s reliance on such taxes to help pay for public schools and the state’s lack of an income tax.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                              Crazy mind set. If I understand correctly we have a budget surplus but may not be able to use that surplus for property tax relief due to a cap on spending. How is giving money back spending?

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11...udget-cap/amp/
                              Seems to me like they feel like it is all THEIR money, they just let us keep some. To us its giving it back, to them its just giving it away.

Same insanity the other way around as gun "buybacks"

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                                Umm…governors don’t set tax rates. Of any variety. In any state. The legislatures own that responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                But, he can propose and push legislation.

Comment

Working...
                                X