Help with Daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Daughter

I need some help and figured someone on here would have the answer. My 11 year old daughter is having an issue when we go hunting. She will absolutely NOT pull the trigger on a deer. I do not have a lease, but have taken her on 3 trips (12 total sits) to a friend's place and she hasnt shot yet, despite having an opportunity at every sit. She swears that she wants to shoot a deer but is almost having target panic or something similar and cant pull the trigger. I have been trying to not put pressure on her and told her that we will find the deer if she shoots it. This weekend, I finally got it out of her that she is afraid that she will wound the deer and it will run off and suffer. She has been shooting at the range a lot and is a good shot.

Any help?

Dont push her.

Comment

Maybe she just says she wants to so she can make you happy? If she's really gonna hunt, the time will come. Maybe don't take her on the next trip or two. If she really wants it she'll let you know she's not happy with staying at home.

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
        Maybe she just says she wants to so she can make you happy? If she's really gonna hunt, the time will come. Maybe don't take her on the next trip or two. If she really wants it she'll let you know she's not happy with staying at home.
        Great advice

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe try her on small game first or pigs?

Comment

Have her dry fire instead! Let her practice without consequences, and when she's ready she can ask you to load it for real.

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
              Maybe that is it, but she has been asking to go and shoot a deer, without any prompting from me. Everytime I mention going hunting, she asks if she can go shoot one. I have asked her if she wants to just go and watch me shoot one, but she says she would rather shoot one herself. That is why I wonder about target panic or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                Have her dry fire instead! Let her practice without consequences, and when she's ready she can ask you to load it for real.
                I havent thought about that, but it might be a good way for her to settle down some!

Comment

Just tell her "boys do it all the time" that always seemed to motivate my daughters. I am just kidding here.

I agree, start on smaller critters to get the adjustment. Good on her for her sensitivity to being a respectful and thoughtful shooter.

Comment

Let it be on her terms. I help guide in several ranches and I'm the one that get all the kids or older hunters. Coco washing is very important . Sometimes it helps to have someone else be the blind and that person be in charge and guide her. It's also very very important that as soon as she shoots that you take the focus away from the deer no matter what, especially if she drops it right there (High fives, hugs, you telling her what a great shot while she is looking at you. Don't let her to look at the deer until it is completely dead and I would wait at least 20 minutes when/if you see it drop. You don't want any movement at all.

Be ready to say something if you don't recover or was a bad shot.

You got to be ready for everything and if you recover.... nobody in camp says anything negative like gut shot or you should waited for this or that... It happens to everybody. the problem is anything will either help her be more into hunting or make her get out of it, so be careful. Sometimes us dads are guilty of putting to much pressure and m
                    them trying to make their daddy happy.

you want to say how important the meat is for the family
                    How grandma and grandpa will enjoy the meat.

Good Luck and be safe

Comment

My oldest granddaughter (oldest grandchild) wanted to shoot a deer really bad, me and her hunted together for a couple years and just had bad luck trying to get a shooter buck.
                      We finally got it done, she made a good shot on a mature 9 pt.
                      The next year she took an 8, then she just lost interest, she still hunts every once in a while but nothing like she use to.
                      Maybe it will be the opposite for you, once she starts she might stay hooked?
                      Good luck, just keep taking her if she wants to go.

Comment

used to be my daughter to the T. She finally said she had no desire in shooting animals and just wanted to spend time with me outside. Now we both enjoy going and there is no pressure. the offer for her to shoot anytime is available. Just enjoy time with your kiddo as they grow to dang fast

Comment

If possible, take her out on a non hunting trip. Go to the stand and place a target where a deer might be. Let her shoot it from the stand and it will let her see she can make the shot. move target a couple times and let her build her confidence

Comment

Fry her some backstrap...kidding.

My daughter passed on her first few deer because she was shaking too bad to get steady. I always told her good job for not taking a shot in those cases. Get her as much time behind a gun as she can and try to get her confidence up in her shooting ability. She will get there but it will be when she's ready.

Comment

As a kid I tagged along and wanted to go but never had a desire to actually shoot something. It wasn't till my 20's that my family started seriously deer hunting a lease. We had places over the year but it was different. I decided I wanted to start hunting too but even with opportunity, I had a hard time pulling the trigger the first time. I was always worried about shooting a doe that was leaving a yearling behind and making it an orphan (total woman thought I'm sure) and I still worry about making a clean shot. When she is ready, it will happen. Justin (Mayhem) pushed me and I finally pulled the trigger, but I wouldn't suggest that for her at all. For a long time I went with my dad and we both carried rifles (didn't bow hunt) and HE was hunting but I was always given the option to shoot a doe or spike if I wanted first dibs on those hunts. That was helpful. I like the dry fire idea too. Another question I would ask her is if she can get in position comfortably? I just had this discussion with Justin last night that I've never hunted a stand that is comfortable for me to get into position and fire without having to stand/squat or sit on my foot because of chairs and window height. It caused me to not shoot more than once last week when we were hunting.

This was my first season without my dad who I just lost in October, so I will say if she wants to go, TAKE HER! Hunting with my dad was always about more than the kill. I'm beyond thankful for every memory I have with him spent in the outdoors even if we went home empty handed.

Comment

Working...
                              X