No announcement yet.

Barndo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This past weekend was the 5th weekend I worked on the house since I started framing out the inside on Oct 8th. I had a setback in production on Oct 28th when my oldest son got tackled on a pitch and broke both bones in his wrist and chipped the end of one of them as well. He ended up having to get operated on and pin them back in place. 9 days later my middle son was playing neighborhood football and got tackled which resulted in a broken elbow. Those two were my best help outside of my 5yo daughter who is glued to my hip but just isn't quite strong enough to provide a lot of help, she is one heck of a cheerleader for me though. Sometimes I feel like it is going slow but when I consider that I have only been working weekends and 70% is by myself it seems like its actual going quickly. My youngest brother has been able to help usually 1 day a week so I save the heavy work for when he is there. Last weekend we were able to finish decking the upstairs, added I a window in the kitchen and got the first wall up for the upstairs that runs next to the bridge. I will be off starting tomorrow for 10 days. Plan is to spend the first 5 days working on the house and it looks like my brother will be available on Friday & Saturday so we should have the upstairs framing complete by Sunday evening and then move to plumbing and electrical rough in. On Wednesday I will be headed up to my folks place with my crew and hit the woods for the first time since my elk hunt back in September. Thanks for following along and I'll update next week to see where we finish up at.
    Attached Files

Comment

looking good

Comment

Been steadily making progress on the build. Framing is complete, plumbing is complete, electrical only lacks another day to finish it which is looking like I will get over on Wednesday or Thursday to knock it out. Rough in inspection will be one day next week and hopefully the well will get drilled also. Having trouble uploading pics from my phone for some reason so when I stop long enough to put them on the computer I will share them.

Comment

Nice project!!!!

Comment

Looking good

Comment

any updates on barndo?

Comment

Finally slowing down long enough to update. Got sick over the holidays so I missed 4 days of productivity then it was in the teens/twenties for several others so I was moving slower than normal but still managed to get things done. Got the AC roughed in and passed my rough-in inspection with flying colors. Water well was delayed a week and half because of rain but finally got it put in so I could water test all the plumbing for leaks which went off without a hitch. Spray foam was completed last Friday and per my wife's request got some bids on having the sheetrock done and I am glad I did. Got 2 bids there were extremely well priced and one that was laughable, so sheetrock is going up as we speak and not by me, which will shave a week off the timeline. I should be hooking up the airless and painting by this weekend.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looking good! Really enjoying following along on this one!

I've thought of doing something similar for a while, but keep putting it off b/c I have 4 kids that keep me busy. After watching you work on this, not sure I have an excuse anymore haha

Comment

Originally posted by BigCountry101 View Post
                    Looking good! Really enjoying following along on this one!

I've thought of doing something similar for a while, but keep putting it off b/c I have 4 kids that keep me busy. After watching you work on this, not sure I have an excuse anymore haha
                    It's certainly not easy but is definitely doable. It was more productive prior to basketball season since I have 8 playing games every Saturday now the speed of production has slowed tremendously.

Treat it like eating an elephant and stay persistent and you will get there.

Comment

Keep up the good work

Comment

Very interesting for sure! Gonna be following your progress!

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Sheetrock went up 2 weeks ago, man I'm glad my bride talked me into hiring that done. The following weekend I masked everything off and broke out my airless sprayer. We went with a black ceiling over the living room and loft and upstairs bedrooms got all the same color.

Due to the spray foam folks putting in open cell instead of closed in nearly half the house before I got there they had to tear it out and go back with closed cell. This left some trashy looking perlins in the the bedrooms. The kids don't know it yet but this coming weekend they will be assigned to perlin duty where they will scrape them clean so they look better.

After the paint dried I put my oldest son to work (14) on helping me install the floors in the upstairs rooms. We were able to knock out all the bedrooms yesterday and will finish up the bridge and left during the week after work.

Oh, and the appliances came in a week ahead of schedule too!

My Dad and Mom are headed down this morning to finish landing breakers in the panel and install plugs & switches for me. This weekend I plan to get doors and base boards put in upstairs and possibly shelves in the closets.

Now that the weather is showing a much needed reprieve from all the rain we've been getting I will spend Friday hauling and spreading dirt to appease the power company with my 2nd house pad so they don't make me pay the $2500 to set the 2 poles and tie into the current build.
                            Attached Files

Comment

We had some more torrential rains about 10 days ago and my window at the top of the stairs leaked so I sealed it again and leak checked it several times. This kept me from finishing the flooring until I knew it was stopped. In the meantime I re-engineered the truss that crosses the bridge so that we no longer have to duck under it. I got the casing put in on the upstairs closets, installed fans and wall sconces, installed smoke/CO detectors and labeled the breaker box. Got upstairs trim painted so I can put it in the rooms and hung the wallpaper my wife picked out for the girls room. I will have the upstairs complete by the end of the weekend so we can move downstairs to clean and seal the concrete then move on to finish it all out.

Gas company finally showed up to put in my gas supply and I dropped the big dead tree so the power company can set my 2 poles and run the lines to get power on the property.

My guess is that we are about 4 weeks out from completion and I am ready! It's been fun, but I am tired and ready to play instead of work nonstop.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looking great! Keep it up, getting close. Those kids are going to love it out there!

Comment

Working...
                                X