Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemo Sabe View Post
    Don't ever shoot a dog please. Find the owner
    I had this same thought prior to our neighbors dog killing 2 of our calves. We caught the dog took it back to the owner and explained what happen. He was very apologetic but explained he could not afford to replace our calves. We told him to keep his dog in his pasture or we would have to put it down. The next morning the dog was back in our pasture chasing another calf. The dog was shot and taken back to the owner. He understood and asked us to help him bury the dog. we tried to do the right thing but had to do what we had to do for our herd.

Comment

I would make an honest effort to get the dogs back to their owners, or a shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They've got to be chasing livestock for it to be legal to dispatch them, and the state's deer don't count as your livestock. I would never let my dogs roam for this reason, and I get just as mad as the next person when they come running through while I'm hunting.
        I've fired shots to scare them before. That said, it's silly to get on here making the same threads over and over, and not intelligent to brag about shooting dogs. Yes, it's still illegal to shoot a dog for chasing "your" deer, or for sniffing around your feeder. For all of the "ruined hunt comments", I can't tell you how many times I've had deer walk through minutes after I saw dogs or coyotes, and have seen dozens if not hundreds of instances on trail cams of deer showing up soon after a coyote or dog was on camera.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          I had this same thought prior to our neighbors dog killing 2 of our calves. We caught the dog took it back to the owner and explained what happen. He was very apologetic but explained he could not afford to replace our calves. We told him to keep his dog in his pasture or we would have to put it down. The next morning the dog was back in our pasture chasing another calf. The dog was shot and taken back to the owner. He understood and asked us to help him bury the dog. we tried to do the right thing but had to do what we had to do for our herd.
          Completely understandable. A far cry from the folks on here who puff up about shooting a dog because it was sniffing around their feeder legs.

Comment

Maybe informing your neighbors that you've put up snares to catch coyotes and that you wanted to let them know so they could keep their dogs home and safe would be effective. Good luck.

Comment

I had 2 dogs run in on me chasing two does right by me around 5pm back on 10-19
              At 6:10 had a buck show up that I arrowed
              Thought my hunt was over for the evening but glad I sit it out

Comment

Live trap, then county animal shelter.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  The first rule of SSS is not to post about SSS.

This thread was your first mistake

Bam

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                    Live trap, then county animal shelter.
                    This. Let animal shelter kill them.

What happens if you have strong coyote foot traps out and a pet dog gets in one?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

What happens if you have strong coyote foot traps out and a pet dog gets in one?

It will get caught.

Comment

I would have a hard time shooting a stray dog much less a collared dog. I think I would either try to get the dog to come to me so I could get info from collar or i would take a drive around the area and see if I could locate the owner.

Comment

Put it in the truck and haul them 20 miles down the road. If the owner let it roam then help it roam somewhere else

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                            If they're attacking wildlife.....
                            Negative

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Depends if it’s a pretty dog or not. Pig bull, bye . Golden, let’s go find your home bud.

Comment

Working...
                              X