No announcement yet.

Dang otter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same problem. $7000 invested in fish and I pulled cards in my cameras and had a video of 5 otters. I’ve gotten 3 so far.
    Attached Files

Comment

I have a buddy south of Nacogdoches who saw one eating one of his prize catfish. Needless to say, the family received an eviction notice that week. There had been five of them filling up at the all you can eat catfish buffet. Not any more!

Comment

Thats a dang good dog. Good skilling MrRed.

Saw the first otter in 12 years on the creek a couple months back. I got so excited I called the game warden. Aint as uncommon as I thought. Im gonna thwack the next one I see.

Comment

Was in Missouri sitting 50 yards or so down hill from a pond. Guy had told me the pond used to be a heck of a crappie hole but the last couple of years you couldn't buy a fish from it. When I saw him later in the day I told him I knew the reason his fishing had dried up. Then told him about an otter that came down from the pond and crossed about ten yards out in front of me.
          Trapping used to keep their numbers in check but the fur industry tanked many years ago.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Otter **** all over the dock is a good giveaway there’s crappie there too!!

Comment

I had a buddy see one recently as a road kill, here’s his pics

Comment

Wow! I didn't know they were that big. I had a beaver in mine but he is gone now. Don't know if I killed him or he just didn't like being shot at. My gun was shooting low and I missed him several times.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                  I had a buddy see one recently as a road kill, here’s his pics

There was one that big on the side of Hwy 87 outside Orange the other day. I turned around thinking it was a beaver

Comment

Moyle Mink will tan them for $37, must be fleshed and dried or salted.
                    Cool critters, I would love to trap one but destructive to your fish population.
                    We have fewer of them than you all have.

Comment

Yeah apparently one was trapped on our place a few years ago without permission. Maybe it was a blessing.

Comment

Buddy has beavers AND otters on his place west of Centerville. We bought a bunch of fish from Overton's, and I think the otters have cleaned out the copper nose bluegill.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Otters eat their own body weight in fish everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                            Probably need a catfish hoop net... see if you have any catfish left, bait the hoop net with a few large perch. Works wonders
                            Best insurance plan. Or make sure sure you can prove the otters are a problem. They go in for perch and it’s game over. Accidentally caught two big otters in the same trap last year. But singles normally.

Comment

buddy of mine just killed 2 this morning in his pond in hardin county,,, after they made dinner out of a 20# blue cat last night

Comment

Working...
                              X