Deal alert, opinions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deal alert, opinions....

I've never really been interested in pellet smokers much, but I've been watching some Meatchurch videos which have sorta peaked my interest in them. I walked into Academy yesterday and they have a Pit Boss Navigator 850 on sale, originally $899 on sale for $599. Anyone know anything about this model specifically or if this is a good deal given features, cooking space, etc... I've done some quick searching on here and Pit Boss seems to get solid reviews. Thanks in advance.

I know you asked about this specific model.. but, I have a lower end pit boss. It works okay. My main complain is temp variance when cooking. If I put 3 pork butts on, the left cooks very quick, the middle average, and the right much slower. I have to rotate them around to get even cooking, else there is about an hour difference in cooks times to hit temp.

Its also caught on fire several times and ruined meat. The drippings flare up every now and then so I have to line it with tin foil for longer cooks.

Who knows, this one is a higher end model than mine and might not have the same issue.

Overall, my next grill won't be a pit boss. Based on what I've read here, I'm thinking rectec.

Comment

I don't know about the models you're asking, but in case this will spark an idea in your head...

I bought a Master Built Electric Smoker and then I built a firebox to transport real wood smoke into it. I still have the benefit of a remote control with a timer and consistent heat but with real wood smoke.

Comment

I don’t have this model but I have a Pit Boss Pro Series and I love it. I’ve had no issues whatsoever. When I bought it from the store it had a damaged leg so I got it cheap - when I reached out to Pit Boss about buying a replacement leg, they told me they’d just ship me one for free so A+ on their customer service too.

One recommendation is get a smoker tube for it. Really helps on long smokes to get a good smoke ring.

Comment

Tagged. They are actually showing that model for $499.00 when I look at the Academy website

Comment

Not sure the model but this is the one I have. Had about a year with no problems and cooks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

a buddy just gave me a pit boss for my birthday. Used it last weekend and it was super easy!

Comment

Actually it's on sale for $499 - $400 off the original price. I'm grabbing one. It has pretty good reviews on other sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies96 View Post
                  Actually it's on sale for $499 - $400 off the original price. I'm grabbing one. It has pretty good reviews on other sites.
                  My bad, for some reason I was thinking $599....

Comment

I have vertical pitt boss and like it better than the traegar.

Comment

It all depends on how much you use it. Use it once a month, Pit Boss is fine. Use a couple times a week go higher end. Pit Boss has awesome customer service as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        I have vertical pitt boss and like it better than the traegar.

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had zero issues with my Pitt Boss. It was a small learning curve on how to use it.
                          But, I have had good results with it.

Comment

Another vote for pitboss. 1100 something or another, think its 1100 cubic inches of cooking space.

My only complaint is if you like to cook things longer, like brisket, you can have an issue with the auger shutting off or the fire going out after 8 or so hours. I have never had an issue under 8 hours, but I routinely have to set alarms to check on things overnight. Like clockwork, if i put something on at 10, by 6 am I am up because I know its going out. Its a huge pain in the *** to have to move a hunk of meat, lift the grates, and vacuum out all the built up pellets.

Havent been able to figure out what it is, but that is my only complaint. Conventional smoker is better for longer cooks.

Otherwise fantastic tool and has held up for 3 years now.

Comment

My Pitboss is great. Going on 3 yrs with it. I have the Austin XL.
                              I use mine 1 to 5 times a week.
                              Clean it after every 15hrs of cook time and no worries with it catching fire.
                              Mine does cook hotter on the left side. I never cook over the middle when smoking. Its above the fire source and will burn the bottom.

I can say, my buddy has a yoder and that thing is awesome. When my Pitboss craps out, I will likely upgrade to a yoder. I know they are high but Ive used his and I like it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X