Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night Hunting with a bow. Have you done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s been some years back since I night hunted with a bow. But I had a system that worked for me.

I rigged up a spot in the swamp with a homemade ground feeder, I also hung a bunch of solar powered landscape lights in the trees around the feeder. My ladder stand was exactly 16 yards to the feeder spot.

My bow light was an old mini maglite I had rigged to an old torx tamer stabilizer, and I had a truglo pin light on my site. I added reflective tape on my arrows. I killed a lot of hogs at night into the wee hours of the morning with that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I hear you can kill 274" deer doing that!!

Comment

I like to spot and stalk on a full moon. Killed lots of pigs this way.

Comment

Yup plenty of times. Pulled the bowsite off, and shot instinctive spot and stalk corning senderos. Once they show up, as you wait downwind of the bait trail, they pig on by THWACK

Kept an old Jennings PWC single cam, 42" ATA, so you can finger shoot it without bowstring pinch.

Trad bows - same deal. Shot years instinctively before fiber bow sites even hit the archery scene.

It's good to practice with any bow instinctively - pull the sight off and dial in 20 yards. Flat bows today, really make it pretty precise once you get it down.

Have used lights and fiber pins, shots are so close at night, I'm faster instinctive.

Setting up a single fiber pin site, as a backup for night hog hunts, would be a good idea as well. Having a bunch of day pins in the pin guard, at night is a lot blocking the sight picture. Course if the pin guard is all hog, center the guard and thump
          Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-03-2022, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I use solar landscape lights on my feeder, which are pretty cheap. They come on every night and the pigs are used to them. I use regular white light, but I think you can get them with a green lens if it makes you feel better.

Comment

I have a crimson trace laser grip that I'll put on my 101st Airborne for hunting pigs at night. Works great

Comment

Lots and lots---I have solar panel lights with photocell on switches on my spots. Lights come on at dark and may last all night--or may not depending on the sunshine the day before.

I have tried the lights that are motion activated and wasn't happy with them---my lights are bright enough that I can nail 'em with my Leupold scoped rifle from 100+ yards and that is way bright enough for the bow at 20.

Comment

I tried but couldn't see my pins. Have the Sniper Hoglight but need to upgrade my sight. Otherwise it's a fun time.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Done it a lot in the past... We'd just hand corn the roads, then drive around until we saw them on the hand corn. Get out and slip with in range and shoot without a light. If you do this on a full moon +/- a few days, you'll have plenty of light at bow ranges in fairly open country. Lighted nock is a must. When I used to do this, I was either shooting trad gear or if a wheelie bow, shot without a peep sight. only a front lighted sight and good form... Been the death of many hogs n coons!!
                    Yep. Have killed a few hundred pigs at night with a bow and have never used a light. Full moons is normally when we do it. Never done it from a blind either. You just corn roads and get the wind right… stalk up on em

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                      I like to spot and stalk on a full moon. Killed lots of pigs this way.
                      It’s one of the most fun things you can do in the outdoors

Comment

I used to do it all the time, i would just suggest practicing in the dark at home. Getting used to trusting your anchor point will help. Shooting at night at dark colored hogs unfortunately ended up with quite a few poorly executed shots at first. But, youll figure it out as I did. I now just dont like having to stay up that late just to shoot a hog...getting old i guess.

Comment

I haven’t ever done it with a compound, but have a bunch with a trad bow. I don’t have a clue how many pigs Ives killed at night, but I’m sure I’d need a couple of trucks with trailers to haul them all off at once!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a Slow Glow light. It’s awesome! No need to do anything different on your bow. It puts out plenty of light to see your pins and the hogs.

Comment

I’ve done it 3 times. Sniper Hog light is all you need.

Comment

I have never done it with a bow. I drew back on one about 15 years ago and couldn't find my peep site. Was toting a .45 and popped him right under the ear. I should probably try again considering my equipment is leaps and bounds above what I had then.

Comment

Working...
                                X