Hawks in the pasture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawks in the pasture

Nature never ceases to amaze. While driving out to the ranch I witnessed something I’ve never seen before. About 75+ hawks were spread out in my neighbors new coastal field just standing there in the grass. One or two were flying but the rest just looked like they were doing their best impression of a prairie dog. I had to take a triple take as I drove by. I’ve never seen so many hawks in one place let alone all just standing on the ground. Any of y’all ever see anything like this?
    Last edited by Mastro; 04-20-2021, 09:58 PM.

Spring migration is going on.

Comment

Yes, especially after a field has been plowed up. I saw at least 50, maybe more than that flying around and standing in a plowed up field the last time I saw that happen.

To me that just tells me there's way too many of em. Bad news for the game birds. Overrated and over populated.

Comment

Saw the same thing 3 days ago off Hwy 82 between Sherman and Paris and yes the field was plowed. Had to turn around and go back to make sure I saw what I thought I saw!
        At least 50 maybe more standing in the field. Could not identify the hawk type but was a large body hawk. Crazy for sure.

Comment

Migration, had a friend that got a license to catch one for falconry. Really amazing I had no idea the amount of dedicated it took to take that on.

Comment

I’ve seen it one time. It was amazing. Had to have been 60 or more. I guess migration and there was a storm in the area but not sure the storm had anything to do with it.

Comment

I was shredding yesterday and had about a dozen or so following me. They were cleaning up on rats and small snakes.

Comment

I saw this about two weeks ago going towards Sherman. A field had just been plowed. I figured they were looking for worms, but I had never seen so many in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only time I have ever seen it was early fall. Saw it last year in my sons coastal field.

Comment

We were riding around the ranch a couple days ago and saw 5 or 6. I was telling my wife that I don't usually see that many together. About 10 minutes later I counted 35. My guess was migrating.

Comment

Saw it once when they were building DFW Airport. Hundreds of Redtails and all other kinds sitting in every tree and on every fence post. My guess they were eating mice and rats from all the earth moving going on out there on the prairie.

Comment

Kettle of hawks, always looks impressive when they migrate through.

Comment

I did some Googling on this. Sounds like they may have been Swainsons Hawks ..

Comment

I've never seen them on the ground like that but I saw several hundred flying over my house a few years back. It was a wild sight.

Comment

Yeah we see that quite often during their fall migration as that is usually when framers are plowing their harvested milo fields down.

Comment

Working...
                              X