Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40 Oddest Texas Town Names

Thought this was a neat article.

It’s plain to see where certain Texas town names come from. For example, Round Rock, Sugar Land and College Station tote some exceptionally literal names. But tons of other Texas towns, from Nameless to Uncertain and Bug Tussle to Frognot, flaunt names with less obvious origins.

I've been to several of em!

Comment

Didn’t see Conception or Sweeney Switch.

Comment

Or Ding Dong

Comment

Iraan is the closet town to my deer lease and a depressing little town it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another one missing is Sacul where my dadgrew up. Located in far northwest Nacogdoches county. The town of Reklaw that is listed in this article is just across the Angelina River in Rusk county and I was always told by my grandparents and others that I know that lived in the two towns that the Lucas and Walkers lived close by each other and got into an argument over what to name the town when the Dallas to Beaumont railroad was being built in the area. So the Walkers went across the Angelina river and reversed their name for the towns name Reklaw and the Lucas's did the same going in the other direction and naming their town Sacul.
            Don't know that this is fact, but what I was always told by lots of different people in both places.

Comment

They left off Ben Hur and in this day and age...White Settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                They left off Ben Hur and in this day and age...White Settlement.
                There are many that they left off. There are many that are much odder that should be on that list.

Comment

Old Ocean didn't make it?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

When Judd Ashmore was weatherman in SA he gave the currents of Mule Shoe every night.

Comment

Nada made it! Home town is on the map!!

Comment

Working...
                      X