LTC Renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTC Renewal

I am having a hard time renewing my LTC. It expires 02/25/2022. I thought the last time I renewed it you had to do it at least 6 months before it expired so I wanted to get out in front of that but it looks like some of the rules have changed a few years back. I went to the website below and put in my information for returning uers but it does not give me the option to renew. All it gives me options for is to become an instructor or report my card as stolen or lost and change address. Anyone have any suggestions?

Apply for, renew, or check the status of a handgun license or instructor certification online with the Texas Department of Public Safety.

I clicked on your link and it allows me renew my license.

Comment

I believe it is available for renewal within 6 months of expiration. The DPS will mail you a notice when renewal is available for you.

Comment

got my renewal letter in the mail from DPS.

Comment

yeah I think you have to wait until you are within the 6 month window before yours expires.... so try again in Aug or Sept.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Am I crazy or did it used to be you had to renew BEFORE 6 months of experation or you had to retake the entire course or do a refresher?

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
              I clicked on your link and it allows me renew my license.
              Maybe the problem is on my end. Is yours within 6 months of experation?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                got my renewal letter in the mail from DPS.
                Do you remember when you got it related to the experation?

Comment

I got a letter in the mail from DPS 6 months before my license expired telling me I could apply now for my renewal. I renewed online and got my license in less than 3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                    I got a letter in the mail from DPS 6 months before my license expired telling me I could apply now for my renewal. I renewed online and got my license in less than 3 weeks.
                    Thanks! Either something changed or I am crazy....... probably that second thing......... because I could have sworn the instructor said to make sure to renew it BEFORE the six month mark of experation.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                      Do you remember when you got it related to the experation?
                      yeah, looks to be about the 6 mo. mark.
                      6 months to renew.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                        yeah, looks to be about the 6 mo. mark.
                        6 months to renew.
                        Awesome. Thanks for everyones help. I wanted to make sure I wasnt messing up and had to sit through that class again.

Comment

Just did the online renew...

Comment

Originally posted by mdb View Post
                            Just did the online renew...
                            Were you within 6 months of experation?

Comment

You’re overthinking it man. Renew it before it expires. You only have to take the course again if it lapses. Takes roughly 4-6 weeks from renewal to license in hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X