Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic fly tying patterns for bass and panfish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
    Absolutely, all of this is great info. I’m glad I started this thread. I’m getting some great ideas. I bet the longer woolies do look pretty buggy.
    Yes, thanks for starting this. I bought a fly tying kit a couple years ago and need to get started learning. Originally bought it to tie trout dry flies but I love to bass fish so I need to go that direction too.

Comment

Most have been mentioned. I do like a big weighted Wooley bugger in orange and brown(crawfish) for the rivers. Also if you want an easy top water try tying a gurgler. It uses the craft foam. Very versatile fly that can be fished on ponds rivers or the bays and surf.

Comment

Also, how does everyone keep their materials organized? I have stuff everywhere
        Although I have a nice fly tying desk I used to travel with my materials a lot so I kept them in a duffle bag. I still keep them there. Different materials in different ziploc bags, many times in a larger ziploc. If I have one pattern I tie a lot, all it's materials go into one ziploc. Pull the bag out, tie some up, everything back into the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
          Not to hijack from the OP but I’d love to see some of your stuff. I used to try and be perfect but always ended up tying “sell quality” and “guide fly” quality, never magazine quality
          I'm not currently around most of it but here are some I framed at the farm. They're under glass so hard to photo. These flies are about 30 years old.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Kossetx; 03-09-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I can only post one at a time.
            Attached Files

Comment

I can only post one at a time X2.
              Attached Files

Comment

Teeny nymph is literally a pheasant tail feather wrapped around the hook. I believe it was the first patented pattern that was done by Jim Teeny as a way to prevent it from being tied overseas. It’s my all time favorite for Alaska and everywhere else. It reminds me of starting out and being worried as a hot fly I tied fell apart more with each fish and cast until it was little more than thread on a hook. Point is have fun, experiment and sometimes less is more.
                I started teaching my 10 year old how to tie flies at the beginning of covid and we began with hares ear and bead head nymphs, minnows and wooly buggers and then we did some deer hair frogs. Spring wigglers are another simple favorite, my son loves acquiring squirrel tails as much as anything.
                Bunny leeches are another super easy, fast tying fly made mostly of rabbit strip and they are deadly on bass.
                As far as storage, I bought a cabinet with plastic trays that pull out from IKEA, hooks and beads go in clear tool trays and tackle boxes.

Comment

These flies are imitations but in most situations a simulation will work better. Take the crawfish above. A modified, keeled, weighted seducer type fly in darker colors will outfish the one shown anyday. Some lures are to catch fishermen, not fish.

Comment

I also do a little more than tie flies. Everything in the pic except the rod ferrule, knife blade/bolster and reel was made by me. Wood is just plain ol post oak from the farm.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Also, how does everyone keep their materials organized? I have stuff everywhere
                      I have a couple boxes grouped by category and then my most commonly used stuff I keep in a 5 drawer rolling Rubbermaid thing. I have a desktop station on top to help organize. Will try to get some pics this afternoon. We moved to a smaller house and I lost my office which had a dedicated tying desk. This is the best option I’ve found so far that’s portable and functional

Comment

I’m currently using my reloading desk as a work space. I’m going to look for the plastic drawers people mentioned. I also like the idea of grouping things in zip locks. All great info. Those deer hair flys look fantastic. I’ve been fooling around with the deer hair heads on some hopper type flies. Sometimes they come together nice other times it’s a wreck.

Comment

You can't tie a bad bass fly with rabbit strip. Bunny and double bunny flies are killer for bigger bass. A wooley bugger with a rabbit strip instead of marabou is a killer.

For top waters just use foam. Buy white foam sandals and color them with markers. Shane, on here, makes a really good frog. About as good as I've seen.

Comment

Lots of good info in this thread 830

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                              I also do a little more than tie flies. Everything in the pic except the rod ferrule, knife blade/bolster and reel was made by me. Wood is just plain ol post oak from the farm.
                              You do some really good work Kossetx. That is very impressive.

Comment

Amazon just delivered a box full of different materials I could resist. I ordered some uv resin too. I’m willing to bet I can make a mess with that stuff fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X