Firewood sales question/options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
    I cut between 2 and 3 cords last spring. Rented a splitter and knocked out half of it. I honestly can't understand how someone can even justify the per hour $ "profit"
    for selling wood. Just. Don't. Make. Sense.

Yeah if you’ve ever done it you gladly hand over the money for a full cord. The only way to make money is at the stick or small bundle prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gutpileaddict View Post
      Never said I didn't know anything about firewood. It just seems funny that up until this weather event you could find it for sale by the cord of fraction there of. But now all of a sudden everyone wants to sell it buy the stick or bundle. I'm as Redneck as they come. I just don't like people taking advantage of the situation.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
      you must really hate ammo gougers.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
        you must really hate ammo gougers.
        Naw I mostly bow hunt .
        I never said what or how they sold the wood was wrong or right . I was looking for opinions and perspective.
        Some people made their own assumptions.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          He’s a spike from 2015 and is all the sudden active on the green screen. Things that make you say Hmmm.

Get your facts straight before you get up on your high horse.

Comment

We cut and split nearly all of our wood and burn 1-1/2 to 2 chords per year. It’s not fun but it’s not killer if you have the tools and help. Now, when my 2 sons move on that may change.

Got caught with my pants down ahead of this storm bought a chord for $180 with me picking it up and hauling. Dude ain’t gettin rich I promise!

Comment

[quote=Mike D;15481359]
              Originally posted by Texas452 View Post

It’s almost impossible to find 24” cuts of wood. I have a guy that will do it if I ask but 18” is the standard length it seems.

Both of my wood burners need at least a 24” log and the outdoor one 30” would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              18" is pretty standard now days, but for a true cord it's gotta be 16" or 24". 4' tall by 8' long by three 16" rows or two 24" rows wide. That's the only way my grandpa would let us cut it. They had all wood-burning stoves and the small one in the den wouldn't shut with an 18" log.

I don't know how many cords I cut, split, hauled and stacked from age 12 until he died when I was 33, but it was a bunch. I know this....It was enough that I met my lifetime quota and I pay somebody to do it for me now.

Comment

I usually split half a cord per year. Didn't find a tree this year to cut down. I bought a 1/4 cord right before the cold snap. I was almost ashamed to pay for firewood.

Comment

[quote=curtintex;15482366]
                  Originally posted by Mike D View Post

18" is pretty standard now days, but for a true cord it's gotta be 16" or 24". 4' tall by 8' long by three 16" rows or two 24" rows wide. That's the only way my grandpa would let us cut it. They had all wood-burning stoves and the small one in the den wouldn't shut with an 18" log.

I don't know how many cords I cut, split, hauled and stacked from age 12 until he died when I was 33, but it was a bunch. I know this....It was enough that I met my lifetime quota and I pay somebody to do it for me now.

You can’t find a true chord anymore. Everything is sold in face chords.

Comment

[quote=bboswell;15482409]
                    Originally posted by curtintex View Post

You can’t find a true chord anymore. Everything is sold in face chords.
                    true story here in town

Comment

[quote=Mike D;15481359]
                      Originally posted by Texas452 View Post

It’s almost impossible to find 24” cuts of wood. I have a guy that will do it if I ask but 18” is the standard length it seems.

Both of my wood burners need at least a 24” log and the outdoor one 30” would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      I cut a bunch of 24" wood when I was selling it.
                      That changed when I ran out of wood for myself one year. Insert burns 18" wood and here I sat with 2 cords of 24". From that day on I cut EVERYTHING 18" and still sold cords honestly, just added to height or length of stack and never had that problem again

I did agree to cut a 1/2 cord of 12" wood in a moment of temporary insanity once. Won't ever make that mistake again either

Comment

My boys and I deliver firewood as a side gig.
                        I want them to learn the value of hard work.
                        And cutting, splitting and stacking firewood is hard work.

They've got their entire lives to learn how to work smarter.
                        But at 16, I want him to work harder.

Tree trimmers in Austin were shut down this last week due to the roads being icy.
                        Wood yards were closed and a muddy mess.
                        Wood has been scarce, not surprised its difficult to find a cord this last week.

We split this today and will deliver it tomorrow.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3688.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	24644922

Comment

Going rate here is $45 a rick, probably $65 delivered. I cut some and I’m a little higher than that and wont drive far, but I’m already cutting my own and it’s easy money when you have an infinite supply.

Reading these prices, hell I could make good money down there! Definitely more than beer money.

Comment

Get your facts straight before you get up on your high horse.

This is what I see from my high horse and looks like you grew a couple points this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post

This is what I see from my high horse and looks like you grew a couple points this afternoon.

It's from all the liberal tears at the salt lick [emoji16]

Comment

Do yall think it's right for folks to sell firewood by the piece or bundle and not to offer it by the cord or fraction of a cord?
                                I know its much more profitable to see piecemeal but when we have a situation like we have now, it just seems like price qoughing.
                                I'm interested in hearing y'alls thoughts.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
                                Are you buying any ammo?

Comment

Working...
                                X