To buy a new rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To buy a new rifle?

I'm going mule deer hunting in CO this fall and I'm trying to decide what gun to hunt with. Here in TX I hunt whitetails with a 270. For out west I would like a "mountain rifle" to hunt muleys and maybe elk some day. Many weigh 6 lbs or even less. A light rifle will obviously have more felt recoil so I dont think I would go with something like a 300 Win mag. Randy Newberg frequently hunts elk with a 308. I think that wouldn't recoil too bad in a light rifle but is it too similar to a 270 to not be worth buying a new gun?

270 is fine. Shoot what you are comfortable and confident with.

Comment

I would take a .270 over a .308 all day long for muleys and elk.

I have killed a truckload of muleys in Texas with 140 gr sst out of a .270 and it did a mighty fine job. Even my elk I shot 2 years ago a 162 gr sst out of a 7 mag worked fine for me as well.

But if worried about it a good bonded bullet like the accubond or partition would work great for elk out of a .270 and would be great on muleys as well. Buddy has killed 2 mule deer now with his .270 and 130 gr accubonds. No bullet recovery's all bullet just plowed straight through with good expansion.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

If just itching for a new rifle get you another .270 just in a lightweight rifle so you are set on bullets and not chasing a new caliber at stores.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

you have your gun already. Don't overthink it.

Comment

Mule deer are not any tougher than a whitetail, just a tad bigger. A .270 is about the perfect caliber for them. It beats the .308 across the board in all aspects.

I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot any Deer or Elk with a 130 grain partition or accubond.

That being said, a few years ago I decided to build one “ do all “ rifle that I could take all non-dangerous game with across the globe in any terrain.

I settled on a Weatherby Ultralightweight that weighs 6 3/4 lbs ( rifle only ) in .300 win mag.
            Last edited by txtrophy85; 01-23-2022, 07:49 PM.

Comment

APR has there annual TBH Sale going on
              I think they've got a Mountain Rifle....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                you have your gun already. Don't overthink it.
                This.

Comment

I’m currently looking for a rifle as well for out west and leaning towards a 280AI or 7Mag but haven’t ruled out the 300. The new Christensen Mesa and Ridgeline FFT has really caught my attention.

Comment

.280ai in a lite mountain rifle would fit the bill.

Comment

Idk your budget but if you’re worried about weight and want a really nice mountain/hiking rifle, the Kimber Mountain Ascent rifles are awesome. Have a friend with one in 30-06. He’s a little bitty dude and loves it. The barrel is ported, so not much recoil, weighs less then 6 pounds I think (they vary by a pound or so depending caliber) and You can get all kinds of affordable ammo for that round to practice and hunt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm kind in your shoe at least the way your thinking. I'm researching a back country elk rifle hunt. I have a 7 Rem Mag and I know it will be great for elk. It is a Weatherby Vanguard. With the rifle & scope. it weighs in about 9 1/2 lbs. Everything I read has talked about worrying about your packing weight. I'm thinking I might need to get a little mountain rifle. I have one in a 6.5 CM but I want more gun than that

Comment

Just grab your .270 and go kill a mule deer. That’s what people did for a century until it became fashionable to buy a new rifle for every animal that walks, and everyone decided they need a sniper rifle…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You’re fully equipped with your .270
                            Carry on

Comment

I agree with others, the .270 you currently own is more than capable.

Comment

Working...
                              X