Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Rehearsal

Death Rehearsal

You sweep them away as with a flood; they are like a dream, like grass that is renewed in the morning: in the morning it flourishes and is renewed; in the evening it fades and withers. . . . So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. (Psalm 90:5–6, 12)

For me, the end of a year is like the end of my life. And 11:59 pm on December 31 is like the moment of my death.

The 365 days of the year are like a miniature lifetime. And these final hours are like the last days in the hospital after the doctor has told me that the end is very near. And in these last hours, the lifetime of this year passes before my eyes, and I face the inevitable question: Did I live it well? Will Jesus Christ, the righteous Judge, say “Well done, good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21)?

I feel very fortunate that this is the way my year ends. And I pray that the year’s end might have the same significance for you.

The reason I feel fortunate is that it is a great advantage to have a trial run at my own dying. It is a great benefit to rehearse once a year in preparation for the last scene of your life. It is a great benefit because the morning of January 1 will find most of us still alive, at the brink of a whole new lifetime, able to start fresh all over again.

The great thing about rehearsals is that they show you where your weaknesses are, where your preparation was faulty; and they leave you time to change before the real play in front of a real audience.

I suppose for some of you the thought of dying is so morbid, so gloomy, so fraught with grief and pain that you do your best to keep it out of your minds, especially during holidays. I think that is unwise and that you do yourself a great disservice. I have found that there are few things more revolutionizing for my life than a periodic pondering of my own death.

How do you get a heart of wisdom so as to know how best to live? The psalmist answers:

You sweep them away as with a flood; they are like a dream, like grass that is renewed in the morning: in the morning it flourishes and is renewed; in the evening it fades and withers. . . . So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. (Psalm 90:5–6, 12)

Numbering your days simply means remembering that your life is short and your dying will be soon. Great wisdom — great, life-revolutionizing wisdom — comes from periodically pondering these things.

The criterion of success, that Paul used to measure his life, was whether he had kept the faith. “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:7–8). Let this be our test at year’s end.

And if we discover that we did not keep the faith this past year, then we can be glad, as I am, that this year-end death is (probably) only a rehearsal, and a whole life of potential faith-keeping lies before us in the next year.
    By John Piper

I actually contemplate my death sometimes. How my works will be judged. Makes me forever grateful that Jesus has died for our sins and we are saved by Grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. This is just a good reminder to reflect some.

Comment

Definitely a different thought process. After my third read it makes somewhat sense. Personally I thought I would deal with facing it better until I actually heard these words you speak of from the Drs.

Comment

Death Rehearsal

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
        Death Rehearsal

For me, the end of a year is like the end of my life. And 11:59 pm on December 31 is like the moment of my death.

The 365 days of the year are like a miniature lifetime. And these final hours are like the last days in the hospital after the doctor has told me that the end is very near. And in these last hours, the lifetime of this year passes before my eyes, and I face the inevitable question: Did I live it well? Will Jesus Christ, the righteous Judge, say “Well done, good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21)?

I feel very fortunate that this is the way my year ends. And I pray that the year’s end might have the same significance for you.

The reason I feel fortunate is that it is a great advantage to have a trial run at my own dying. It is a great benefit to rehearse once a year in preparation for the last scene of your life. It is a great benefit because the morning of January 1 will find most of us still alive, at the brink of a whole new lifetime, able to start fresh all over again.

The great thing about rehearsals is that they show you where your weaknesses are, where your preparation was faulty; and they leave you time to change before the real play in front of a real audience.

I suppose for some of you the thought of dying is so morbid, so gloomy, so fraught with grief and pain that you do your best to keep it out of your minds, especially during holidays. I think that is unwise and that you do yourself a great disservice. I have found that there are few things more revolutionizing for my life than a periodic pondering of my own death.

How do you get a heart of wisdom so as to know how best to live? The psalmist answers:

Numbering your days simply means remembering that your life is short and your dying will be soon. Great wisdom — great, life-revolutionizing wisdom — comes from periodically pondering these things.

The criterion of success, that Paul used to measure his life, was whether he had kept the faith. “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:7–8). Let this be our test at year’s end.

And if we discover that we did not keep the faith this past year, then we can be glad, as I am, that this year-end death is (probably) only a rehearsal, and a whole life of potential faith-keeping lies before us in the next year.
        By John Piper

Im not a “religious” person but am a firm believer that by your 30s you should have a very comfortable relationship with death. Those that do not live their lives wrong often by ignoring their impending death.

The day that I die will be the greatest day of my life. I have raised kids and continue to do so. Those kids need to grow and have kids of their own and so on. The kin must grow and raise families of their own and for that to happen I must die. Time must go on and I must honorable get out of the way. It will be my finest honor to die for my kin. The most glorious day I will ever live on this planet will be that day.

“The wise man plants trees for which the shade from he shall never enjoy”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man I woukd rather rehearse life. I'm ready fir death but planning to live. Here and eternally

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Man I woukd rather rehearse life. I'm ready fir death but planning to live. Here and eternally
            There’s nothing wrong with having a healthy grasp of Memento Mori. But I agree with your directive to practice life is on point.

“ It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I get the point but now days it seems like everyone's so worried about death that they're letting life pass them by. The fear of death has all but destroyed this country. I believe no matter where you're at,what you're doing or who you are, if your time is up you're leaving this earth. When God calls you'll answer whether you're ready or not. But being ready and obsessing over something you can't change are two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                I get the point but now days it seems like everyone's so worried about death that they're letting life pass them by. The fear of death has all but destroyed this country. I believe no matter where you're at,what you're doing or who you are, if your time is up you're leaving this earth. When God calls you'll answer whether you're ready or not. But being ready and obsessing over something you can't change are two different things.
                They are worried about death because they’ve not accepted it as the only outcome. Processing and acceptance of death frees you up to live life

Comment

I ain’t scared of death, but some ways of dying scare the hell out of me. The main thing is I want to go out like a light and not cause my family any undue pain, suffering, and expense.

Comment

I am always amazed when purported Christians that I know are afraid of dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      I am always amazed when purported Christians that I know are afraid of dying.
                      I agree, as Christians we shouldn't be afraid of death (it's a graduation, home coming).

It's the folks that aren't Christians that I'm concerned about!

Comment

Working...
                      X