Still seeing fresh scrapes in Southeast Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still seeing fresh scrapes in Southeast Texas

I’m in Hardin County as I type this. I’m looking at a very active scrape. I can see a couple different prints in it. This is the latest in the season I’ve seen a fresh one. I guess maybe some early born fawns have come into heat. The rut is usually over and done with in this area by now. What’s the latest y’all have seen active scrapes and in which County?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AntlerCollector; 12-21-2021, 04:17 PM.

That will stop when there horns fall off

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

What side of Hardin county?

Comment

I have scrapes year round on my place.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          What side of Hardin county?

Northwest corner near Votaw

Comment

Our deer in Mountain Home were still chasing this past weekend

Comment

I’m in liberty hill and there were two bucks in my backyard fighting like crazy yesterday morning. The loser walked off bleeding from his mouth. Saw them again today and were chasing a doe really hard.

Comment

They just still horney

Comment

The buck I killed Sunday morning was trying to chase down a lover.

I’ve seen scrapes as late as January on the place I had near Mt. Enterprise. I’ve read that bucks will scrape year ‘round but they don’t keep them up like in the fall.

Comment

Found one in jasper county (magnolia springs) year before last in March. Was still wet with urine.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                      They just still horney

Yeah I’m still throwing rugs all over the house and licking the Christmas tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Only bucks I’ve seen chasing in Kimble county this year was the ones chasing other deer of the feed. Weak rut this season on our place.
                        I have not noticed a single buck with darkened tarsal glands all season. Last year they had the best rut I’ve ever witnessed…

Comment

See bucks chasing, new broken horns from fighting, and freshening up scapes this time of the year every year. I have always attributed it to your assumptions on fawns coming into season as well.

I am not far from you.

Comment

Do you ever give up chasing tail??

Comment

This is what I was told by a biologist several years ago. I am not claiming that it is right or wrong but that I was given the information.

This was on a lease in east Texas near Chester and Colmesneil.

The biologist said that if a doe was not bred when she was in estrus, she would go back into estrus about a month later and possibly a third time.

He believed that part of the problem was the number of does in the area. On our lease of approximately 1200 acres the estimate was maybe eight does per buck.

With that ratio he believed it was easy to think that some of the does would have to go into estrus more than once before all of them were bred.

I can guarantee that if I hunted two or three days a week, I might see a dozen does at the feeder and never see a buck. The biologist suggestion was we kill does and then kill some more does. After that, kill some more.

This was before antler restrictions and was in a two doe county. For the next couple of years I think we killed about 25 or 30 does each year. Sure enough, more bucks were being seen and we killed a couple of the biggest deer ever taken on the lease.

But, the point is that according to that biologist, it would not be strange to see does in estrus into the next year. In his opinion, the higher the doe to buck ratio, the more likely we would see this occur.

One of the lease members that was there a lot longer than me spoke to me after we got the information from the biologist. His opinion was, and I can almost quote, “everybody knows that if you kill does, there goes your deer herd“.

Comment

Working...
                              X