Venison !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison !

This morning before daylight I got into my stand about 350 yards behind my house. Had a good N wind and it was 33*. When it was almost daylight I thought I could see bodies in my wheat. Picked up my Nikons and sure enough there were four does approaching the feeder pen. They grazed around on the wheat and forbs until the feeder scattered them when it spun at 7:00.

They ate corn for ten minutes or so, but two of them kept looking toward the bottom of the plot. I picked up my glasses again and saw two more does come into the plot. About half way across they stopped and looked back. I trained my binos to where they were looking and sure enough, I could see a chest and front legs of another deer. When he appeared I was disappointed because he was another Borderline Bob as I call them. He might make 13” but I ain’t finding out that he’s just 12.5” after he’s on the ground.

I already had my APR .280 Rem in the window ready to collect some steaks, but didn’t look like it was happening now. As he approached the feed pen a couple does flew the coop and another couple just jumped the fence. All at once Borderline Bob assumed the Mike Tyson attitude……..his ears were back, he was bowed up, and his hair was standing up. He walked almost out of my view on the left but stopped in time for me to still see his hind quarters.

About this time Bob started backing up, and after a few seconds I could tell he was sparring with another buck. I thought it be his twin but when the other buck came into view I immediately thought “shooter” ! You see, I’m mostly a meat hunter, and right now, I’m mostly out of venison ! The remaining does scattered and the shooter trotted off after them leaving me no opportunity for a shot. They went into the woods, he followed, and I was deflated. The elation I had been feeling vanished only to return when a couple does came back into the wheat and grazed a minute.

They then trotted out of the plot into the opposite woods. He followed them into the wheat, (I’m already on my rifle), and I mouth grunted at him. No response, he’s still walking toward the does. I grunted again…..nothing. I almost shouted the next grunt, he stopped and looked straight at me. I had already taken my safety off, had the crosshairs on his shoulder and was easing on the trigger when he stopped. A little more pressure, bang, and he folded. I reloaded and watched him through the scope for a few minutes to make sure he wasn’t gonna get up.

He’s not gonna score anywhere but on our plates, but after killing only one deer last season and having to ration it, I’m glad that at least some of my freezer is gonna have venison in it !

Please excuse the unprofessional pics, I didn’t think to get anymore pics after I move him to field dress. (and Sarge is a ham)
    Attached Files

Congrats, nice buck

Comment

That’s a dandy!!!

Comment

Very nice, Congrats!!

God Bless
        Bish

Comment

Awesome deer and great story Drycreek. Congrats.

Comment

Drycreek-- That's a very nice looking buck. Congratulations to you!

Comment

Congrats, that's a nice one..

Comment

Nice one too! Congrats.

Comment

Venison !

Congrats on a great buck. I’d love to see a buck like that on my place. All of mine are 11-12” wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Thanks guys, my son kept asking how wide so I did measure his inside width. He was 17”. I like ‘em wide enough that I can tell at a glance whether they’re legal or not ! Otherwise, I just like ‘em on my plate or in my crock pot……..

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Well done and thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Very nice buck and enjoy the cooking's.

Comment

Working...
                              X