Pretty uneventful/eventful morning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty uneventful/eventful morning.

Well I had some hours saved up at work so I took some vacation time to do some predator huntin. I knew it was supposed to be windy today so I got out bright and early before it got that way. Long story short I got a shot at a bobcat. I was using the .22mag to minimize fur damage because it looked like a catty spot. All I could see was its head so that's where I shot. I saw it hit the ground and it never did much of anything. So I wait a minute or so and got up and headed out to get it. Left my gun there of course. I get there and as I'm bending down to grab its back legs it lifts its head. I'm thinking oh crap it's still alive. It stands up and is walking around like it's drunk. My gun was a good ways away so I thought I'd just pin it to the ground and choke it down with my boot. So that's what I tried to do. I say tried because even though it seemed drunk that thing sobered up real quick when that boot went across his neck. He went ballistic. Flipped around and dug its claws into my jeans. I felt them brush my leg but somehow I didn't even get a scratch. I let up and it was bouncing up hitting me and took off into some thick stuff. So I turned and ran to my gun and came back. I found some blood but the cat was nowhere to be found. In all the excitement I honestly don't know where I hit it. Somewhere in the face, the mouth more specifically I suspect. But I really don't know.

I looked for two hours and never picked up a blood trail after the last few drops I found. And it's a nightmare out there. All sorts of things it can get in,hide under or climb.....I can't believe it. Tough *** sumbuck.

That was stupid. I ain't never doing that again. It's a wonder he didn't climb me like a fence post and tear me up. I don't know how that didn't kill him. That was a cat from hell.
    Last edited by okrattler; 12-15-2021, 10:26 AM.

The wind is supposed to blow 70mph here today. It's already getting out of control so I ain't gonna play out in it. I'll probably go see if I can find that cat this evening if it does die down.

Comment

Wow, great story. I always bring my rifle/ bow with me.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
        Wow, great story. I always bring my rifle/ bow with me.
        I normally do too. But I thought with a headshot I might as well just run out and get it real quick. Figured I wouldn't need it. Bad mistake. All I did was knock it out.

I'm guessing I probably ain't going to find it. I'd be surprised if I did. I probably messed its jaw up or something if I had to guess. I don't know that it'll even die, at least not today. May be dead right now. It's hard telling.
        Last edited by okrattler; 12-15-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I can't imagine that it could have ran very far. I just don't see how taking a bullet to the face didn't kill it fairly quickly even though it came to. It was running off of adrenaline. Had to be.

Comment

I sure wish you had that on video. You may have just grazed his head just enough to knock him out but not do any real damage. He woke up to a sasquatch standing on his neck and wasn't too thrilled. I did something similar with a Javelina. The thing had been laying in the road for an hour and when I grabbed his leg to load him up he came alive! Ruined a good pair of underwear!

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
              I sure wish you had that on video. You may have just grazed his head just enough to knock him out but not do any real damage. He woke up to a sasquatch standing on his neck and wasn't too thrilled. I did something similar with a Javelina. The thing had been laying in the road for an hour and when I grabbed his leg to load him up he came alive! Ruined a good pair of underwear!
              Oh man I wish I did. That was crazy. He had a lot more fight in him than I figured he would. I can't believe he didn't tear my leg up. That was close. As close as I ever want to be. That could have been a bad deal. When he was jumping around that's when I got concerned about getting scratched up. That first leap was about waist high. I put distance between us when that happened.

I'm never gonna try that again. I didn't get scratched up that time. I'm chalking that up to luck.
              Last edited by okrattler; 12-15-2021, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I may take a dog out and see if I can get it to pick up its scent. I'm gonna see if my sister will go help me look for it after she's out of school.

Comment

Been there and done that... one time! You won't do that again, I assure you. Mine happened about 30 years ago with a coyote. After that I started carrying my rifle every time I went to pick up a critter. A lot of times I will carry a 22 pistol with me so if I do have to shoot them again, I will not do any fur damage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                    Been there and done that... one time! You won't do that again, I assure you. Mine happened about 30 years ago with a coyote. After that I started carrying my rifle every time I went to pick up a critter. A lot of times I will carry a 22 pistol with me so if I do have to shoot them again, I will not do any fur damage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                    What's crazy is most of the time I do too. For whatever reason I didn't today. I thought it was deader than a hammer so I just left it that time. But what's weird is normally I take it with me either way. Just one of those deals.

Comment

I’m still laughing! Wish I could have seen that.

Comment

I bet that would have been a sight to see

Glad it didn't get ahold of you good and send you to the ER

Comment

It got wild there for a second or three.

Went back out this evening to look for it. Never did find it. My sister took her German Shepherd with us. I figured our chances of finding it were slightly better with a dog but still no luck. We walked all over that place looking for that cat. I decided if my sister and her dog could find it I'd tan the pelt for her. Well after she heard that she had that dog looking on every inch of that property. Kinda made me feel worse not finding it because then she was disappointed. Which wasn't what I wanted to happen at all.

I better go back out in the morning to have one more look. She'd be super excited if I found it. I told her I really don't believe the cat is dead at this point. I think I just caught a piece of it good enough to knock it out. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it survives. She worked hard trying to find it. She was looking in spots I knew that cat wasn't in. But she stayed until it was too dark to look anymore.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 12-15-2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I hope my kids grow up to be siblings like this! Go shoot her a bobcat! Your story made me laugh.

Comment

Thanks for the good laugh. A video of that incident would have made most funniest videos.

Comment

Working...
                              X